ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry my opinion doesn’t meet with your approval. Why not save time and just tell me what to think.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a cost effective solution to postage, printing, etc. Most active hams have some sort of access to the internet and ARRL could make a spot in their forum area available for this to members and non members alike. That could work and would go a long way toward making things better in arrl world.

In my clearly convoluted opinion

3. KD2RHT

KD2RHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be game for just the LoTW membership without all the other stuff (including no access to the magazine)

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You don’t have to be an ARRL member to use LotW. Any Amateur Radio Operator can sign up for it and upload logs to it.

You only have to be an ARRL member (for FCC licensed amateurs in the US, anyway) to apply for any of the awards offered through LotW.

So... sign up for LotW, upload your logs, and then when you’ve qualified for an award you’d like to have, THEN join the League. Once you get it, let your membership lapse.

Of course, we’d rather have you stay as a member, but whatever works.

W4POT and N2EY like this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get LoTW awards as a non-member, they just cost more.

6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, myself and my daughter are members.

7. K1VSK

And when suggested to the League (a few times over the last 3 years) no acknowledgement or response or any indication anyone there has considered it. I just renewed membership for another year for whatever that’s worth in terms of support but that apparently is the proverbial ‘one way street’ after what most would consider a prolonged period.

I’m sure someone will come out of the weeds accusing this of “bashing” the League, however, it is a reasonable, cost-effective, minimally intrusive and easy to manage option if they wanted to....

8. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess, since I have no way of knowing for certain, is that they've looked at the traffic level on their forum section compared to the rest of the site amd concluded that it's not worth the time for the level of viewing it would receive.

9. K1VSK

You might be correct but the lack of activity there might be a product of a self-fulfilling prophecy analogous to talking to drywall. It’s all about expectations.

Parenthetically, your earlier personal comment about me is not appropriate.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT ^^^^^ was my (not so subtle) hint