ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. That was one sad and pitiful website for a man who once prided himself on being at the forefront of science and technology. :(

K1OIK likes this.
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL has never represented (as in "included in its membership") the majority of hams licensed by FCC; the percentage has never hit even 33%, even in the radio-hot 1930s.

NK2U likes this.
  3. W9BRD

Multiple membership polls on key issues have been done across ARRL history, usually, if not always, via tear-out/mail-in cards bound into QST. (Note that such polls weren't/aren't opportunities to vote on those issues, per se; they were solicitations of opinion on those issues to inform representative action. One such poll, in the late 1930s, for instance, included a question about whether or not FCC should be petitioned to allow phone at 40 meters; another, in 1948 or so, included that same question as ARRL officialdom debated not only that issue but also whether or not to seek creation of the license class that went on to become the Novice. (With 40-m phone following soon after, simultaneously with the granting of 40-m privileges to Novices.)

But enough about a relatively unimportant hobby. How many times have your elected members of state and national legislatures solicited your position or opinion on anything? Or indicated quantitatively the unsolicited responses they receive on an issue?

Thought so.

Out,

Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD

N2EY and WZ7U like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

1930,....? 1948,......?? can I stop laughing now?

5. W9BRD

I was pointing out two as examples that dealt with a single issue of interest to every League member, in simpler times. But of course you knew that.

These are the times of multiple red-hot, hair-on-fire issues of interest to relatively few. The last FCC rulemaking that directly affected me was when 75-m phone was allowed down to 3.6 MHz. I moved my fave-frequency ops down band a bit; another world-shaking ham-radio problem solved.

N2EY likes this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s hard to defend the indefensible... e.g., using examples of things before most of us were born.

Although maybe that was the most recent time they cared.

ND6M likes this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What would you have the ARRL do, exactly?

There are over 758,000 US radio amateurs today.

8. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

He and other don't want them to do anything without consulting with the tiny minority of League members that would bother to provide feedback on proposals; haven't you been paying attention to his and others past comments on this?

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm just asking a relevant question.

I think it would be great if the ARRL would send out detailed questionnaires to every US-licensed radio amateur in the database, and show the results.

Trouble is, that would cost some serious money - who is going to pay the bill? If a survey costs $1 per person from start to finish, that's 3/4 of a million dollars.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven’t given much thought to it but my initial thoughts are - use their existing forum to solicit opinions, seek input on policies, poll interested amateurs. Alternatively, at least create the appearance they care what we think. Any expense would be trivial.

there is always room for improvement

WZ7U likes this.