ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Literally everything you wrote there was wrong. Now, with the new Board, maybe you're right.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do I need to post my piece about Uncle Charlie and Cousin Ethel again?

I disagree. Wayne was a demagogue and a con man, pure and simple. He never let facts or logic get in the way of doing whatever he thought would sell magazines.

KS2G and WU8Y like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Was Wayne simply a "con man?" Or was he just "eccentric?" (Now, Howard Hughes was"eccentric," by a large margin.) Or is there really a difference? Yes, in some ways, he WAS a "con-man," but he often actually believed in his eccentric ways and beliefs. He often blew in the face of "facts and logic," but sometimes, he turned out to be right.
    I still will consider him as "eccentric" with ideas that often were at odds of conventional science, AT THE TIME. Sometimes, he has actually (even if only eventually) been proven at least on the right track. But he WAS entertaining, to say the least.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He was a demagogue, a con man, a grifter. He may not have started out that way, but that's what he became.

There's a very big difference.

He wrote things which were simply not true, in order to sell magazines.

Anyone who writes enough predictions will eventually have at least some of them come true.

I'm talking about things he wrote in 73 that were simply not true.

Not really.

Here's an analogy:

A good magician can perform amazing illusions that appear to be "magic" and defy the laws of nature. S/he can appear to have paranormal powers. Yet if you talk seriously to an honest magician, they will tell you that everything they do is an illusion that is carefully done to fool the audience, and that no violations of nature nor paranormal powers are involved. IOW, it's all a trick, and you should not take it as anything else.

There have been people like Uri Geller who did illusions but said they were accomplished by means of their own paranormal powers. Some got significant numbers of people to believe them, and they pocketed lots of $$ in the process. They're con-men, because they lied and misled, and people really believed in them.

Magicians are entertainers. The second group are con men.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W2NSD? When I was a teenager back in the late 60s, he was like a rock star for me. I didn't even bother to skim my old man's stuffy QSTs. 73 was, well, HEAVY, man. ;)

Some years ago, though, I went through a stack of 73s from that era: "I can't believe he actually said that. What was I thinking, lapping it up?"

As for whether he'd always been that way, going back to the earliest NSD editorials shows he was always much the same.

Now, as far as his outrageous ideas concerning the moon landing hoax, vitamins, UFOs, government conspiracies, cancer cures, and all the rest, I can't quite decide if he actually believed the BS or was just using it to relieve suckers of their dineros. I guess it's possible that as he got older he came to believe at least some of it. Too bad he isn't around now. He'd sure be in his element in this age of ignorant credulity and never-ending conspiracy theories. :)

OTOH, I admit I was entertained by him when I was a teen, so I guess I got my money's worth. ;)

6. WA9SVD

W2NSD?? Well, some had a following. But I certainly wax much more nostalgic for "Gil," Larsen E. Rapp, and such that appeared in QST in years gone by. Now THEY were entertaining. QST would be MUCH more desirable if they ran even re-re-runs of those oldies:(.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Not too different from some of the bogus crap this country has lapped up to-day.

As he got older, the editorials became more outrageous, although usually entertaining. I suspect in latter years dementia was setting in. Moon landing hoax, cold fusion, miracle cancer cures, etc. But once upon a time despite the W2NSD editorials, each issue of the magazine was a half-inch thick and packed full of serious technical articles. The table of contents often took up a full page which IIRC was printed on the front cover. Far more than what appeared in CQ or QST. Near the end, the magazine was a shell of its former self, and you could often count the number of articles in an issue on one hand. But remember, a magazine can't publish articles if nobody writes them.

N2EY likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

That was one of Wayne's conundrums for at least one of his computer magazines. He couldn't keep publishing the rag if people didn't buy it, and people who might have good projects were aware of his non-payment or delayed payment, so it was a vicious cycle. NO projects , no sales. No sales, due to lack of meaningful projects; finally, no mag due to lack of interest or content. But he hired "GOOD people" to oversee ALL of his publications:confused::rolleyes:.

Sound familiar?:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wondered about that, too. Toward the end, he had a website, waynegreen.com. The main thing I remember was that he was eating raw liver, and for that reason, he was going to live to be well over 100. He had various books for sale, and it looked like most of them were probably photocopied sheets. It seemed like kind of a sad end to a major publishing empire.

10. WA9SVD

I believe I eluded to that in a previous post about one of his computer magazines. Yes, it was a sad decline.