ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVE complained to HQ, and we (well, I) will see if I get my back issue finally. I'll actually mention it to the regional ARRL reps when I see them. They usually attend some of our club meetings a few times a year.

Seek Who?:confused::D:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL isn't what it used to be. It's turned from a service organization into a commercial business. They do not represent the majority of hams in this country and haven't for some time. Why are they so influential? Lobbyists and politics and a big wad of voters.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He is, but he lived a very long life.

He was also a bit nuts, as I'm sure you know, but his longetivity (other than probably having good genes) may have been partly due to his nuttiness -- he was a health freak who favored organic foods, and I met Wayne several times and never saw him drink alcohol or smoke or do any of the stuff I was doing.:p

He actually told me he considered his body as a temple. I told him, "I've been there, it's in Philadelphia.":)

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why wait?

EMail them. Call @ arrl.org should work.

The sooner they know, the sooner they can do something, the sooner you get what’s coming to you... so to speak.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

If the only benefit of membership were receiving QST (digital or print form), I wouldn't even pay $10.

Years ago I used to save all my issues, and my archive of back issues is nearly complete from 1922 to the mid 90s, but now they usually get tossed out. When I see an occasional article I want to keep, I cut it out and put it away in a file folder before throwing the rest away. No longer worth the space they take up.

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

I agree; genes probably had a lot to do with it. My (maternal) grandfather smoked cigars, sometimes two a day, and lived to 90. That is above the "average." My own dad lived to 96, also well above the average, although he smoked (unfiltered cigarettes) until he moved to CA in 1977. (Hernia surgery at the time may have something to do with him quitting, maybe?:confused:) I don't know if I will follow that pattern, or break the mold and pass away tomorrow. (No time for that, I have too much to do today.:D)

To the point, yes, Wayne was more than a bit "eccentric," but like some, seemed to think he picked "good people" who went wrong. I would surmise that he perhaps didn't pick the right people in the first place, or was easily "bamboozled,"if that is the right word. His magazines (not just "73") were entertaining, to say the least.

7. WA9SVD

I would not be quite so critical. While I disagree (sometimes very vehemently) with what the ARRL does or decide, they are certainly "better than nothing." It's ONLY by retaining membership that changes in their policy/direction can be made.
    I believe it is NOT a simple assumption that just because many hams do not choose to join the ARRL that the ARRL does not represent our interests. But like so many "big" organizations, they DO often have their own agendas. The only way to combat that is to remain a member and vote for those positions that support change (in YOUR direction.:confused:) As much as I sometimes disagree:( with the ARRL, what alternative is there?:rolleyes:
    The ARRL MAY (but no guarantee) listen to comments,complaints, etc. from members. Any comments from non-members probably immediately go into the round "file cabinet" or shredder , to be emptied daily.

8. WA9SVD

Already done there, been that.THREE calls (in the last three months) only got TWO replacements for the missing THREE QST's. I don't know if a FOURTH call will be of much use.

And I will apologize, my AUGUST QST DID finally arrive. I presume the delay/whatever was due to the USPS, rather than ARRL or their system. (But MISSED issues are a different matter.)
    In their defense, the Postal Carriers will sometimes delay "bulk" or junk mail if their load for a day is just too great; I don't bemoan that. I believe QST is viewed as in that category.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

How many times has the League asked their members to vote for anything? Or solicited their position or opinions on anything? Or indicated quantitatively the unsolicited responses they receive on an issue?

10. WA9SVD

I'm not sure. But I HAVE made my opinions (and yes, grievances) made known to the Regional and District reps.

N2EY likes this.