ad: QSLcardEU-1

ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

CQ? :rolleyes: :p

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

sums it up?

[​IMG]

WZ7U likes this.
  3. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. Probably eaten by the USPS mail shredders, the very ones which leave those lovely skid marks on QSL postcards.

4. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, ARRL is far less likely to be the mailer. Magazines are general printed, wherever and turned over to a mailing service company. Every magazine I've subscribed to in the past 40 years has come from one of these and they are not particularly good at forwarding a missed issue or back issue, they are more Fire And Forge artillery.

I'll have to contact the ARRL directly and some office minion will either have a few copies of back issues they can send out or they contact the service company, but I expect it will come from the ARRL office.

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

When I’ve needed an issue replaced, a call to HQ took care of it.

Replacements are mailed from HQ, although not always as timely as we might like... in part because sometimes they have to wait for the “extra” issue from the print run (intended for just this purpose) are delivered to them.

Most printers for National publications like QST use one of a few bulk mail processing facilities. After your magazine is addressed, it is sorted (eventually) into a bundle of magazines to your central or regional post office; each bundle is in turn pre-sorted by local (delivering) post office and route (the “+4” part of the “ZIP+4” postal code). By pre-processing and sorting the magazines this way, it minimizes the amount of handling and processing the USPS does, and in turn, they get a hefty discount.

Did you know that you can get QST delivered via first class mail, not bulk delivery? As long as you’re willing to pay the higher postage cost, which is almost doubled. (Yeah, the postage discounts on pre-sorted bulk mail are QUITE substantial!). It’s an option, at least online, when you renew now.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is good to know, especially for those that truly value QST. As I said previously, the current QST is but a ghost of what it once was (in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even into the 80's.) so why would I want to pay extra postage for a magazine I no longer value, at least not as much as in the (now distant) past?

My main complaint (at this point) is that I had THREE consecutive issues missing, and after calling HQ three times, only TWO of the missing issues have been replaced. THAT, IMHO, is really POOR customer service. And my JULY 2019 issue of QST arrived in the middle of July. THAT is 2-3 weeks later than others received THEIR copy of the magazine. I'm still waiting for the August issue. Of course, this IS only 1 August.:confused::rolleyes:

7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Never Say Die!!

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I got it.

Don’t complain to us. Complain to your Division Director. Making sure that the HQ staff provide customer service to the members IS part of their job. (That’s courtesy of a former Atlantic Division Director, by the way, not just my saying so)

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But isn't he an SK?:confused::confused::confused:

W2AI likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Stealing and using that. :p
    Probably will run it into the ground here because it has so many useful applications. :D