ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I looked at 6 miilion and gravy train and thought, nope, doesn't look close to one, not for an organization which has some lobbying to do. That's shoestring territory.

WU8Y and N2EY like this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that figure is not total revenue but rather just from publications. We all make differing value judgments but $32 million in assets excluding endowments isn’t what many would consider trivial “shoestring” given the small membership numbers they report.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you SURE? Since QST is now available on-line (at least to members,) am I more or less likely to look at the ads? If I'm not looking for new equipment, I'll ignore the ads completely, whether on printed page or on my computer screen. If I AM looking for something, I may well scrutinize the ads more closely. In the past 5, maybe 10 years, I can't think of a single time I've paid attention to the ads in QST. Yes, the advertisers are surely getting THEIR money's worth...

4. WA9SVD

The other side is that if they could reduce the number of paper copies of QST to send out, they would save a LOT on postage, as well as saving a few trees. While their "revenue" may decrease a bit, they would ALSO see a significant decrease in expenses due to printing and postage involved in QST.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, you can opt out of paper delivery, just don't expect a reduction in membership fee.

6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck yeah, that's all that the Directors and ARRL employees are there for... /sarc

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they shouldn't complain a bit when Ajit Pai sells out the bands from underneath us.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perfection is the enemy of the good.

To those who savagely criticize ARRL I would ask: Do you always agree with what your spouse does? Do you always agree with your church? Your employer? Your local ham radio or other club? Other organizations you belong to?

WU8Y and KA0HCP like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I received mine about two weeks ago.

If yours hasn't shown up yet, check your membership expiration date or maybe with neighbors who got your mail by accident. I think they're all mailed from someplace back east, and probably at the same time.

10. WA9SVD

A while back, I was missing three QST issues, and both before and after contacting the ARRL, I rechecked with the P.O., but no luck there. So far, after three calls to the ARRL, I have received only TWO replacements. What is so difficult to understand which, and how many issues are missing, after THREE calls? I received the JULY issue two weeks ago. Shouldn't the AUGUST issue already have been delivered?

I don't know whom to blame: the ARRL, OR the USPS. Perhaps both.