ad: BKQSL-1

ARRL July Board Meeting Minutes Posted

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I was appalled at the original center, and delighted to see it be reversed. I’m a believer in free speech. Thank you for your efforts on that!

The more folks know the facts, the easier it is to reach consensus. Keeping things secret doesn’t help.

2. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually that's a very good idea, you need to consider running for ARRL President.
    Your plan makes perfect sense both location and economically. That location along with other activities at Hamvention also might stimulate some of the newer technicians to actually join the American Radio Relay League.
    The Dayton amateur radio club has quite a bit of public support, and that property has back taxes and along with the support of the area there's certainly enough room.
    Plus the history of Hamvention is another reason to have it there, and appeals to many of us. With the golf course they actually would have enough room to put up some rhombic antennas again, remember the diamond symbol around the ARRL logo is a symbol of a rhombic antenna!
    You have my vote

3. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing I do when reading the minutes of an ARRL BoD meeting is go right to the end of the doc to see whether the Board spent any time as a Committee of the Whole. If it did, my first scan through the minutes is then about determining the juncture(s) at which the Board shifted into CotW mode. If it was "to discuss personnel matters" or sensitive issues of League finances, that's tolerable and even wise. If it's for any other purpose, it should be taken as potentially suspicious, because details of BoD discussions as a Committee of the Whole can be, and usually are, omitted from the published meeting minutes.

This Committee of the Whole dodge used to be not uncommon for the ARRL BoD on controversial non-personnel and -financial issues, but I'm pleased to see it usage declining. The minutes of the July's Second Meeting reflect no time as a Committee of the Whole--arguably a good thing.

4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To put matters in proper perspective; you should ask yourself what exactly do YOU want from the ARRL??

1) Preservation of amateur radio?

2) More radio spectrum for amateur radio?

3) If you're licensed as a Technician or General Class operator; do you want more operating privileges without the need for further examination?

5. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Vision and steering of the membership/masses to achieve great things by working together.

This typically starts on the first couple pages of the members magazine with the editorial page...

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry. They'll find something else they can complain about for decades. :)

7. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The discussion about moving HQ, a US-hamdom thread for at least half of the lifetime of the org so far, has two main subthreads: the political ("ARRL is East-Coast-centric") and the radio-practical ("Reception of W1AW over the western third of the lower 48 is only hit and miss at best").

The political aspect is slippery in that wherever HQ happens to be will displease and/or discomfit somebody. (The arguments have been made that HQ should be near the geographic center of the lower 48; that it should be in the population center of the lower 48; and so on and on. Ultimately all boil down to the refrain of that great jazz song: "Tryin' to make it real/Compared to what.") So (of course) practicalities of potential available workforce; property values and cost and taxes; ease of transportation, and so on, should figure more strongly than any argument based on "the principle of the thing."

The issue of W1AW reception is more easily dealt with nowadays than in the previous century. (The problem of spotty western-US reception of 1AW is why 1AW used to have a 20-meter rhombic and why W6OWP for decades transmitted "West Coast" code-proficiency qualifying runs.) In the 21st century, a straightforward solution--assuming the org wants to keep an MF/HF/VHF news/code-practice program viable and make it more useful in more of the States--would be one or more remote-controlled sites in the midwest and/or west.

K0UO likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

What did I ever do to you to deserve that? :):):)

Seriously, I had my fill of local ARRL politics many years ago, when I was young and foolish. (I’m no longer young, of course). I have no interest in an elected or appointed position these days, though I have tremendous respect for those (like Ria) who are will to put themselves through the grind for one of them.

But thanks for the thought, anyway.

K0UO likes this.