ad: k1jek

ARRL July Board Meeting Minutes Posted

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple of Issues I read in the Board Meeting:
    1. Movement of ARRL HQ to Deleware from Ct. Any opinions?
    2. The statement by the ARRL President, "He remains concerned about the disconnect that Technician class licensees make up over half of the Amateur population, but only make up about 16% of ARRL membership. He emphasized that we need to focus on increasing ARRL membership and perhaps explore some new initiatives to enhance recruiting members."I think this shows that the new entry level license is exactly as I said months ago, not for amateur radio but to increase ARRL membership. Others said it too.

3hrw_eu_crisis_j5a2169.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    AC8UN, K1OIK, W5TTP and 1 other person like this.
  3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Right on-target.

AB2RA, ND6M and K0IDT like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

“Deleware?” Where’s that?

So considering the high cost of living in CT, the value today of the property that ARRL HQ & W1AW sits on, the ability to attract people to living in the area to work without paying a premium salary (isn’t that something that we’ve had a LOT of kvetching about here, over the years?), and the fact that they’d now be in (the horror!) Patriots country, amongst many other things...

Considering a move of HQ to another state is not necessarily a bad thing.

Despite the historic ties of ARRL to CT, the time for a move may finally have come. Or ot.

Whether Delaware is a good choice, that’s another issue. (I always thought a more central location in the US Midwest might be a wiser choice).

So this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I want to read more on the issue before making up my mind.

K0UO and KE5ES like this.
  5. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully, whatever property is chosen for W1AW will be subject to antenna and strict zoning regulation. This will insure that these two restrictive issues faced by so many newcomers will finally become a priority for the Board. W1AW signal into an EFW hidden in a commercial buildings attic may not appeal to most.

If cost is an issue, I wonder why they are not considering Florida, or Texas? Maybe even Wells, Nevada!

K0UO, WU8Y, KE5ES and 2 others like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I can think of almost as perfect a location for the new HQ as possible.

It should be in the Midwest of the country, roughly the center of the majority of the Amateur Radio population. Ideally within a few hours drive, so that most members can reach it easily.

We need to have plenty of real estate for the new HQ building, the new W1AW building, and (of COURSE) the antenna farm.

Said real estate can be expensive, so we need to find a location that will be relatively inexpensive. Likewise, said location must also be affordable for those members of the ARRL staff that choose to relocate, or for new staff members to move to when they are hired.

Having major highways and airports nearby are a must.

A technically minded community in the area would be a plus. Say, related to manufacturing (if it still exists), or a military base. And nearby schools are a plus as well, especially, say, a high school almost around the corner (so to speak) from the location.

Most of you have probably figured this out already, so without further ado, yes, I am proposing that the ARRL relocated HQ to the Dayton OH Metropolitan area. Specifically, the community of Trotwood OH.

ARRL should buy the site of the HARA Arena and the HARA Golf Course.

...ok, this is at least partially tongue-in-cheek, but really think about it... the land is available for a song right now. You could start building the new HQ & W1AW buildings on the golf course site almost immediately. Trotwood would WELCOME the idea of a major international organization moving it’s HQ to their community.

And as part of this relocation, I’d urge ARRL to build a new convention center on the HARA site. (WITH a PAVED parking lot & proper plumbing, of course!!!). Clearly the reason why is obvious... even at the end, HARA was booking events. Bring in enough, and the revenue pays the bills. (Yeah, a small hotel related to said proverbial convention center would be nice as well! You get the idea)

ARRL in Dayton. What do you think?

K9KQX, KY5U and NL7W like this.
  7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think there's any consideration of moving HQ to Delaware (other than a mailbox at some corporate registered agent office). The idea is to look into incorporating there. IMHO, there's little advantage in doing so, but that's the thought.

It would make sense to move HQ to somewhere in the Central Time Zone. But then, for decades, people would complain about how W1AW is in the wrong call area.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, since there are no iterations of w*aw available.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was happy to see that the Board rescinded the censure of N6AA.

W4POT, N2RJ, W0IS and 1 other person like this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for mentioning the rescinding of the censure of N6AA.

5 directors voted to table the issue for further consideration. They were Holden, Blocksome, Hopengarten, Ryan, and Sarratt; but 9 voted NO on tabling the vote to rescind, they were directors Abernethy, Carlson, Norris, Williams, Jairam, Ritz, Tiemstra, Hippisley, and Stratton. The final vote to rescind the censure was a voice vote so we don't know who may have wished to vote to oppose it as they apparently remained silent.

Thank you to the new board members and the membership who voted them in for correcting this mistake.

W4POT, K2XT, NL7W and 1 other person like this.