ad: HamHats-1

ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The SCUTTLEBUTT I heard, that if it is true, would be devastating!!
    Of course, everything you read on QRZed is TRUE, isn't it???

This involves ARES, of which I am a valiant member.
    The rumor is that to be an ARRL authorized ARES member, you gotta take a course to do so. Not so prior to this. All they wanted was you to be a good ham!
    But the CLINCHER is that the course will cost EACH HAM $50!!!!!
    Guess I ain't taking the course!!!
    That will clear out ARES Organiztions faster than a SKUNK in the room!!!
    If this is implemented, this will be the END to ARES!!!

2. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

Advertisers are always aware of the distribution - figures are published in the beginning of every magazine. You can contact advertisers. You're cutting your own throat by doing so. Without money from the advertisers, there will be no QST and no league. Dues don't begin to pay all of the expenses of the ARRL.

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

ARES already has problems recruiting and retaining members due to the certification and education requirements. at least locally. The new course will only apply to ARES and you need not be a ham or ARES to volunteer for disaster
    assistance, tons of opportunity if you don't insist on the "I'm a communicator" aspect. There may also be a cost, like background checks and certification, if you want to volunteer for some other duties . A ham ticket only grants access to radio spectrum and doesn't qualify the holder for anything beyond that.

W0FS likes this.
  4. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have a problem with males running an organization?

5. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet that DX Engineering, Ham Radio Outlet and MFJ spend LOTS more money with the ARRL than the manufactures combined (Kenwood Icom and Yaesu).

6. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Point is, advertisers pay really close attention to feedback they get from current and future customers. My belief is continue to barrage the ARRL with letters, but also express your displeasure at major advertisers supporting ARRL thru ads in QST etc.

Believe me, their corporate PR people play much more attention to unhappy customers than most people think. Most of them, depending on the business, consider one e-mail or letter to represent 40 to 60 e-mails or letters. They understand a lot of unhappy people will not bother to contact them, they will just stop buying. It is the money thing. Companies make money from you purchasing products they make. If you don't by the products, there is no need to advertise.

KF0XV likes this.
  7. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, just explaining why I was using the term "guys"

8. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Tony, that is called falsification of Govt Records if any of those reports are given to a State agency as factual. So, if it were me, I would make sure that every person involved is aware that these documents are a criminal act subject fines or imprisonment.
    Each and every single piece of false information is a crime in itself. 50 false submissions equal 50 criminal acts. A descrete inquiry with your Atty. Gen's office may very well get their attention. I suspect that the folks you talked to are aware of that. It is the only reason I can think of they would be so defensive of information and aggressive toward you. (it usually a sure fire sign people are hiding something)

K8BZ likes this.
  9. WB5NOQ

WB5NOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My opinion, If the Board of Directors are so sure, their hidden agenda is going to pass, why put out a letter, trying to cover up the obvious!
    The members are mad, and will stay mad, until you leave office.
    The ARRL was founded with us in mind, for us, and by us!
    Somehow there are members on the Board that forgot this.
    Its time to "Take out the trash" .... No more NAZI tactics!
    Regain control of our ARRL!

Bruce A. Love
    WB5NOQ

NK2U likes this.
  10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

WZ7U likes this.
  11. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WZ7U, NK2U and W0PV like this.
  12. N8WAC

N8WAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich
    You are correct. Everyone from the top (GL Director) on down (Asst EC's) is aware of all this and nothing has changed for years. Except for me to public shame them. That's why I'm on a mission until the day I die or they start having ARES meetings. When I get lied to and then threatened.....I get a little @^$#&* off. Also if this is true........What I'm hearing is that the EC has his own two way radio business and is doing all the radio work for the county. Yes profiting on all this. Again that's the word on the street.

Sad part of all this is when ARES is needed during an emergency it is going to be total chaos. Nobody will know what to do. And if this ever happens I swear I will stand up and scream like hell blaming the ARRL for allowing this all to happen. Again I have all emails to back me of the ARRL's lack of interest.

N8WAC

13. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just one minor correction on the OP. Courts have held that volunteers are considered to be employees even though unpaid. As for the main issue it is pretty clear that the majority of these problems began after the new CEO was hired. From his editorials in QST it is pretty clear that his attitude is arrogant and condescending and that his managerial philosophy is inappropriate for an organization like the ARRL. In my opinion he needs to be gone before league support from the movers, shakers and donors to the ARRL go away.

AK9S, KM4LKC, W4ABC and 3 others like this.
  14. KW4MQ

KW4MQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That letter from the ARRL President reads like a slap in the face. It has the same tone as other letters coming from board members and posted on the web.
    I have a brain, and I can read! I have read the proposed changes. I have read the minutes from the Nov 2017 meeting, and the Jan 2017 meeting. I can interpet them myself. The claims from 'official ' ARRL about misinformation from web, just don't hold water.
    I feel like they are pissing on us, and calling it rain!

K8BZ, WZ7U, N2SUB and 3 others like this.
  15. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Strangely absent from that latter was any mention of the CEO and his BS.

K8BZ and WZ7U like this.