ARRL gives eastern PA Section Manager the boot

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC4YLV, Jun 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, yes, I concur. Well put old man, eloquent, clear, and to the point.

Steve
    KV6O

2. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I've sat on the board of a non-profit for 6 years- at face value this is a good thing.

More often than not, because NPCs thrive on donated talent and good will, dumping someone from the organization creates a lot of problems in the area of public relations. In other words the person who got dumped, creates a lot of negative press in the community the organization serves. This is never trivial- but sometimes a necessary PR expense.

Many times, when there is a "problem person", organizations will will keep correcting them for too long. Creating a situation where it's an even bigger mess than it would be if the person was let go on the second or third infraction.

So assuming the ARRL's report is factual- this is a good thing. What happened seems like a breach, or perhaps assumption, of fiduciary the person did not have. That is a very serious offense.

Given the egotistical nature of our community- it's easy for me to imagine someone overstepping their actual authority.

WU8Y, N0TZU and N2EY like this.
  3. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He was the Chairman of the ARRL National Traffic System. I've received some odd messages from the NTS; seems like they're desperate for traffic or a role in the grand scheme of things. We're even supposed to send messages to our SM through the NTS during Field Day. I kind of get their purpose but some of this "traffic" makes me wonder.

NK2U and WA7PRC like this.
  4. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Next...Ames writes a tell-all instabook and CQ publishes it.

5. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True dat...

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

NTS has been sending traffic from ham-to-ham for MANY years. With the advent of nationwide (and worldwide) flat-rate telephone service (both wired and wireless), the need for day-to-day NTS is progressively less. With the increase/hardening in 1st-responder telecommunications in recent years, the need for hams during emergencies is also progressively less. Ham radio has become less of a service and more of a quaint hobby.

AA8TA, NK2U, K1OIK and 1 other person like this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Their problem was themselves too. 10 years ago I suggested they have an email address and a web site where people could give them traffic. The thought is if I am in an area effected by a disaster, a family member could enter a message for me via email or websiteto be sent by NTS . Then NTS could route the message as they do regular traffic and hopefully I might get it. But noooooo, that wasn't their "tradition" so I got a polite response saying not no but hell no. I made the same suggestion 3 years later and again a condescending reply.

So, NTS can rot as far as I am concerned. They dug their own grave. :confused:

P.S. On the ARRL PSK bulletin tonight they had this big "special thanks" and recognition for NTS. Now I understand why. They sacked it's leader but want to say atta-boy to the troops so they won't get demoralized. ARRL politics.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    K4PIH, NK2U, N6HCM and 1 other person like this.
  8. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

Quote from WA7PRC
    NTS has been sending traffic from ham-to-ham for MANY years. With the advent of nationwide (and worldwide) flat-rate telephone service (both wired and wireless), the need for day-to-day NTS is progressively less. With the increase/hardening in 1st-responder telecommunications in recent years, the need for hams during emergencies is also progressively less. Ham radio has become less of a service and more of a quaint hobby.

Here in Texas, in three counties that I know of, the communication/emergency centers are 'bunkers' with all the trimmings

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They disabled the ALC in the eastern PA section? Oh the splatter this will cause!

Hopefully they just turn off the HV supply to the western PA section.

WA7PRC, NY7N and N1EN like this.
  10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oxymoron: important Radiogram

W5INC likes this.