ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep.

Back in the 2000s, ARRL proposed moving the lower subband edge to 3650, and FCC went overboard and moved it to 3600.

Phone ops got lots and lots more room, unearned, while CW and data ops got squeezed into 20% of a band that's 500 kHz wide.

I think you remember something that never happened.

W1AW code practice has been at or near its current frequency since April 1972. (See QST for April, 1972, page 107 - frequency is given as 3.580 MHz. 45 years!

Previous to that, W1AW used 3.520 MHz (yes, in the Extra band).

The move from 3.580 to 3.5815 happened between June and November 1989.

What had to move was the W1AW RTTY bulletin frequency, which used to be 3.625 MHz.

Yep. They even recognized it in their "Regulation By Bandwidth" proposals.

---

Yes, in theory, "CW can be used anywhere".

But, in practice, you don't often hear CW in the 'phone subbands. Sure, there are the occasional CW-knowing ops who switch to CW when propagation or QRM makes a 'phone QSO go south - but those are rare exceptions. And data modes are forbidden to US hams in the 'phone subbands.

W8JI explained the situation very well:

http://w8ji.com/mixing_wide_and_narrow_modes.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And remember that in JA, more than 90% of hams are Fourth Class, and can only operate at QRP power levels some parts of some HF bands.

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jim, probably the RTTY bulletin. There was something about the CW bulletins though, may have been needing to find a spot due to the
    number of nets that got displaced. Not real important now but I wish the FCC would never have corrected the missing auto sub band on 80m.

N2EY likes this.
  4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

@N2EY Jim, so now I'd have to sit for elements two, three, and four, plus an additional "entry level license" ???
    [sarcasm]So what would the "entry level license exam" entail?
    Heartbeat, pulse, respiration, pupil dilation, identification suitable for form 605 and $15 ??? [/sarcasm]

I continue to assert that an additional "entry level license" is not needed.
    I still think we don't support and educate our existing amateurs near well enough.

If you want change in Amateur Radio , change it .

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you people insist on over thinking this? Techs have CW privileges on 80, 40, and 15m already(and 10m but they have data and voice there already). Give them digital on their HF CW allocations and call it good. No other changes needed, no changes to testing beyond maybe tossing in more digital mode questions, and no FCC action needed beyond a change to the rules that will take 10 minutes to edit.

CW IS digital, so let techs use PSK31 on HF, limit them to one of the many digital modes on 80,40, and 15. If they want access to other modes they can upgrade to General. This is not rocket science. Nobody loses anything by giving them PSK31 on HF in allocations they already have! But it brings the tech license into the current century where CW is a dying mode!

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the felon question...

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you have a plan. You should take that to the Commission. When they say "asked and answered," don't say you weren't warned.

Seriously, not this again... :rolleyes: Dying mode?
    upload_2017-8-26_9-10-49.png
    That was just the 160m contest from last December. CW dying? Whatever.

8. AF7XT

Shhhhh....
    I wasn't there, no one saw me, there isn't any proof, I did NOT put that envelope under that pile of garbage...

9. AF7XT

It may die with me, but not for lack of trying. I've been trying to add the
    telegraphy elements for years despite the protests of those that have heard my fist .

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, there's video now. It's on YouTube. The cops did it...

AF7XT likes this.