ad: dxeng

ARRL email info

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AB8RU, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

[h=2]More Than 20,000 arrl.net, arrl.org E-mail Addresses Blocked by Microsoft[/h]TAGS: addition, arrl, ARRL Information Technology, ARRL volunteers, field organization, Manager Michael Keane, normal operation
    03/07/2013[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The ARRL IT staff has been notified that Microsoft is blocking e-mail to the more than 20,000 members who use the [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]arrl.net e-mail forwarding service to forward e-mail to Microsoft domains ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]hotmail.com, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]msn.com, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]live.com and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]outlook.com). In addition, the blockage is also affecting those members of the ARRL’s Field Organization and other ARRL volunteers who use an [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]arrl.org alias e-mail address to have e-mail delivered to an address with a Microsoft domain. According to ARRL Information Technology Manager Michael Keane, K1MK, the IT staff is working to have these blocks lifted and e-mail delivery restored to normal operation as quickly as possible.[/FONT]

May have to change my email to someone else.

2. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought something was up, haven't seen any spam in my inbox for awhile....

3. K2NCC

K2NCC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I'm not an ARRL member, so I don't have the mail service, but the one reason I don't like sending TO those that do is I have no idea if it made it. No bounce notice or anything. Just falls into the "bit-bucket" if you haven't updated your info or simply don't have an address there.

Why anyone would want to send their email through an additional step, just to have @ARRL.net, is beyond my understanding. Especially with so many fine and free "real" email services available.

ARRL should take advantage of this down-time to kill that member "benefit".

4. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

I cut all ties with Microsoft over 8 years ago.

With the exception of a single laptop, there are no computers with any Microsoft products allowed in our house!

At one time I depended on ISP email accounts and found out that doing that can be a huge mistake.

Verizon is another company that won't see a penny of my money!

As far as why use the ARRL email forwarding system, often times when on the air it is easier to tell someone " my call at ARRL.NET " then it is to try and spell out some of the oddball off the wall email addresses some people have.

KD3NE@ARRL.NET <---- shortest email address I have ever had

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Forwarding email is a problematic business.

The problem is that spam gets forwarded through the ARRL's servers along with good mail. Microsoft's system probably only looks at the immedate server that it receives the spam from and therefore blacklists the ARRL's servers.

I run several mail servers which forward mail, usually to Gmail. Gmail seems to be smarter and somehow this problem doesn't seem to happen. I can see in my logs that Gmail immedately rejects some mail when my server tries to forward it but I think that only happens with the worse type of spam. In general, Gmail seems to know that my server is only a transparent pipe and not the originator of the spam. There is a help page at Gmail with guidelines for mail system administrators with a few dos and don'ts.

I wish them luck getting this fixed. I remember this happening years ago with the ARRL forwarding to Comcast. I suspect it's a challenge to even find the right people at Microsoft to talk to. The real answer is probably to filter the spam at ARRL's servers but that's easier said than done. If they do that then they really need to provide a "spam folder" or something so members can check for any good mail accidently caught but ... they're only providing a forwarding service so ... they don't have that functionality and members want the forwarding to simply work and not really think about.

I suspect there will come a day, if it's not here already, that the ARRL will regret ever starting the email forwarding service. It was a good idea at the time but ... times have probably changed.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

The problem is not with the ARRL, it's with Microsoft. I use the forwarding address service and it works just fine for my email, but then I don't use "free" email services for anything important, just for this reason.

.............Bob

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago, when there were a multitude of ISP's (primarily dial-up) seeking our business, it was not unusual for ISP's to merge or buy each other out -- or go out of business. Someone could be changing their primary email on a regular basis if they were unlucky to pick a provider that, one way or another, disappeared into the ether. And at the time, the few free providers often didn't provide much of an email service for free (ie, you get what you pay for) -- although they have improved muchly by now.

Factor in, as well, people who later switched providers to get a better deal, or to go from dial-up to DSL or FiOS or cable. To say nothing of those who are redirecting from computer based email to handheld smart phones or tablets.

It is often convenient to use an alias, such as an "at ARRLdot NET" or "at QSL dot Net". This way, if you change primary providers, you simply update your alias to point to the new provider.

8. K2NCC

I never use my ISP's email service and recommend others not to either. If you ever move or change services, well, what a pain.

Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, and the likes have been around forever. Even with hotmail going to outlook.com, you'll still get your emails from hotmail.

You're using a separate email address anyway in the ARRL forwarding process. Why not use that one? And never have to remember to change it in a forwarding system elsewhere.

Can't get much easier than the likes of frank.k2ncc at gmail, or k2ncc at outlook. Sure ARRL.net is shorter and to some "cooler" but it's one one more thing to worry about.

And honestly, I sure trust Microsoft, Google and Yahoo to get back up from a downed server faster and more reliably than I do ARRL.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood. Not everyone makes the same choices, some prefer to do things other ways.

10. K2NCC

Sometimes doing things the "other way" keeps you from being one of the 20k who didn't get their mail.

11. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? Because a lot of email users bounce from one freebie email service to another, by using the ARRL.NET forwarded they only have to change it in one place instead of trying to get all their friends and relatives to all go in and simultaneously update their address books every three months or however often they change mail carriers.

12. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My primary is at gmail, but I do use the ARRL forwarder a lot, mostly for incoming mail. I got sick and tired of having to update everybody when I changed ISP's, so between the two of them, I am covered now, no matter where I get my Internet service. Gmail has the advantage of really integrating nicely with all the different platforms I use, particularly Android.

13. K2NCC

Then stop changing mail carriers. If you're not using your ISP's email, that won't be an issue.

You can forward all your accounts to anyone you like, gmail, outlook.com, yahoo, etc. You can even set it to respond from either.

ARRL is not an email service, it's a forwarding service. Two different things.

14. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

I edited out the irrelevant segment of your post and left the two pieces I found relevant.

Considering that you are not a member of the ARRL, I find it humorous that you would advocate ARRL killing a member benefit.

You're not a member, you're not affected by any issues associated with the benefit .... why expend so much energy advocating against it?

In all honesty you are the first person I have heard say that it is " cooler ".

It is shorter and thus much much easier to use in over the air communications, especially on HF when working with DX stations.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  15. K2NCC

If you happen to be one of those that don't update your ARRL forwarding right away, I'd never know you didn't get my email as ARRL doesn't use "mailer daemons" to let the sender know it bounced. Perhaps it'll get to you eventually, but there are those that don't update or use ARRL and the sender would never know it didn't make it.

I wonder if there are attachment limits on size with ARRL forwarding? If my gmail account let's me attach, say, a 25meg file, would ARRL forward the file too? Testing that now, I'll return with an update.

16. K2NCC

My lack of membership has nothing to do with it. I send emails (to members) as well as receive them, so I am affected.

17. K2NCC

I didn't say it was. I said some might think it is. This is a badge/nametag/callsign on your hat lovin' hobby.

Perhaps. I've said "A R R L" and that's a mouthful. Besides, anyone who needs my email can get it from my bio.

18. W4PG

I actually find saying "my call at a-double-r-l dot net" pretty easy. The person receiving that is also much less likely to make a mistake with that than if I try to give them my regular email address, which is simply my initials but at tampabay.rr.com, which often confuses folks.

...........Bob

19. K2NCC

Or one can forward with something like W4PG@outlook gmail yahoo, or similar. All easy to identify and understand. Millions use those services. I've never had to spell GMAIL or YAHOO to anyone. Even then HOT-MAIL, YA-HOO and G-MAIL are two syllables, and ARRL is at least four. Oh, and how many of you have never accidentally said ARRL dot ORG instead of dot NET?

As long as you're on top of keeping your ARRL forwarding up-to-date, and if it works, then you're set for the most part But if you didn't, I wouldn't know it, as ARRL doesn't "bounce" emails, even if no such email address exists.

20. W4PG

Glad that works for 'ya!

I do have a gmail account, but find it doesn't integrate with Microsoft Outlook as nice as the email I use with my local ISP. Oh it works OK and I get my gmail email that way, it's just not as slick. Outlook spends a considerable amount of time "synchronizing" folders with my gmail account, which is fairly annoying actually. Since my ARRL account if forwarded to my primary email account, I don't have that issue with it.

And why are we arguing over something so silly?? This is dumb . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.