ad: elecraft

ARRL Creating New Online Groups for Members to Have More Direct Communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1RSN, Oct 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N1RSN

N1RSN Ham Member QRZ Page

To enhance and improve communications between the ARRL leadership and staff and the members and prospective members, in a manner that enables both timely updates and collegial discussion, the ARRL’s Committee on Communication with ARRL Members is creating online forums where all amateur radio operators (ARRL members and non-members alike) can discuss issues and topics in two-way conversation with ARRL leadership.

This project is based on the success of the online ARRL-LoTW Group for the past several years, in responding to all amateur radio operators’ questions and in generating discussions about ways to improve this program. This effort has clearly demonstrated the effectiveness of online Groups as a means of achieving the desired interactivity.

So, the ARRL will be adding three additional online Groups, which will be open to ARRL members and non-members alike:

· ARRL-Contesting - moderated by ARRL Contest Advisory Committee Chairman Dennis Egan, W1UE; (https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-Contesting)

· ARRL-Awards - moderated by ARRL RadioSport Manager Bart Jahnke, W9JJ; (https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-Awards)

· ARRL-IARU - moderated by IARU Secretary Dave Sumner, K1ZZ; (https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-IARU

The existing ARRL-LOTW Group, which has about 4,750 members, remains hosted by Groups.io, but is now accessible via https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-LoTW.

In addition, everyone who subscribes to an ARRL Group is also automatically subscribed to the “ARRL Groups” group. This is an administrative feature that will allow ARRL to convey routine announcements to subscribers of all ARRL groups, such as an announcement of upcoming downtime for planned maintenance.

ARRL IT Manager Michael Keane, K1MK worked with Groups.io to set up the new groups.

In the months ahead, the Committee envisions creating more online Groups to support two-way communications that focus on additional areas of interest to amateur radio operators, including ARRL activities, services, initiatives, and policies.

It is important to note that the ARRL currently has some "members-only" online forums, including on the topics of Awards and Contesting. While these forums will continue to operate, participants there will be encouraged to post new topics in the new Groups.

Since the aim of the new Groups is to encourage discussion, as opposed to just being a question-and-answer session, there will be some basic ground rules to which participants of the Groups will be expected to adhere:

· All questions will be welcome, no matter how many times they have already been asked and answered, or how obvious the answers might be in the documentation.

· Neither personal attacks nor foul language will be tolerated. Violators will immediately be placed on "moderated" status, meaning their subsequent posts will require Moderator approval until the Moderator's trust has been regained.

· Those posting are reminded that these forums are open to everyone, including prospective hams and operators who are not ARRL members but may be thinking about joining; so civility and courtesy is expected, even when disagreeing.

The Committee believes that providing more opportunities for two-way discussion between the organization’s leaders and the entire community of amateur radio operators will assist the organization in truly serving the needs of this community.

N2AMM, W0PV, W1PJE and 4 others like this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That should be interesting.;)

3. YD1LKB

YD1LKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Goodluck

4. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a good start...

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Online Ham Forums,
    I use the Oldest, the Largest, the BEST = Q R Z
    OPEN TO ALL FREE SPEECH QRZ even let the ARRL announce this on this forum!!!

I'm a Life ARRL Member too

VE4REM, WB3V, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever read most of the comments on the current LotW group? https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-LoTW

Most of them are just questions about trying to set up a simple software program.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a good idea. Yes, there is QRZ, but it's pretty impossible to discuss the ARRL here. The fight soon begins and the thread gets locked.

K4AGO and W1YW like this.
  8. W4NNF

What's simple for you isn't simple for everybody, and it's not really the program itself that gives some hams problems.

9. W4NNF

Why wouldn't QRZ allow it. As for free speech? Yes, as long as you follow the rules. This is private property, just as an ARRL discussion group would be.

N2EY and K4NB like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is relevant because....?

These new forums are NOT about LOTW. They are open forums meant for ALL radio amateurs to ask questions tapping into the ARRL's expertise AND giving the ARRL valuable--constructive-- feedback. How can there be ANY downside to this?

Assume that IF there is a DESIRE from ham-dom to provide ADDITIONAL ARRL-based forums, then there will be more.

N2EY likes this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

This topic is also being discussed on another non-QRZ forum, the "my ARRL Voice" thread on FaceBook.

There Dave Berstein @AA6YQ, member, ARRL Communications Committee, made some relevant statements and is answering similar questions. Here are a few to date,

Dave AA6YQ -> I encourage every member of "my ARRL Voice" to participate in these online forums, as your doing so will accelerate traversal of the learning curve and identification of any needed course corrections. As we gain confidence in "direct online interaction", forums focused on more controversial topics can be created.

The need for civility and courtesy cannot be over-emphasized. It is fine to disagree, so long as you do so without being disagreeable

Dave AA6YQ answered -> Those are the first three of what eventually should be many. What forums would you like to see created?

Proposed -> Field Organization, EMCOMM, NTS, QST and other publications, Internet presence, elections, by-laws, regulatory issues.

Dave AA6YQ answered -> Thanks! I have forwarded your suggestions to the other members of the Communication Committee.

I wouldn't expect any additional forums for at least 2 months, as we want to see what (if any) tuning is required based on experience with the first 3 forums. Feedback and suggestions from participants will help with this effort. de AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ answered -> Perhaps the next forum created should focus on identifying forums to be created and prioritizing their creation. Note that recruiting and training a Moderator for each such group is a prerequisite.

Dave AA6YQ -> These forums are hosted by groups.io, not by ARRL.org; this enables participation by ops who are not ARRL members. If you don't already have a groups.io username and password from one of the many amateur radio forums hosted on groups.io, create a new account.

Dave AA6YQ also posted more info to answer questions and provide details for how to join and use groups.io, which as stated quite a few ham groups already use for various topics.

This positive exercise in transparency toward ARRL operations & policy-making ought to be informative & stimulating to watch. :)

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    WJ4U and K0UO like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If any of you guys know Dave, you know how lucky we are to have him volunteering his time and expertise.

Chip W1YW

N4QX, W0PV and K0UO like this.
  13. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

35 years a ham and I've yet to see any whiff of negative op-ed or opinion about the ARRL published within the pages of QST.... I doubt these forums will be of much value without the real debate and discussion happening. It will quickly either get blown up or be censored.

That's the reason Wayne started 73, what gave rise to CQ....and a reason that QRZ flourishes.
    ARRL/QST is, and was unwilling to discuss the contentious issues.

To think they'll start doing that via their forum approach is refreshing, but I think rather unlikely. Watching with baited breath...

14. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Facilitating real debate and discussion is the exact purpose of these forums, of which the first three -- ARRL-Awards, ARRL-Contesting, and ARRL-IARU -- are just a start.

Foul language or personal attacks will result in immediate moderation, meaning that subsequent posts will require Moderator approval until trust is regained; other than that, there will be no censorship.

Please participate, and help demonstrate that direct online interaction benefits everyone.

Dave, AA6YQ

W1YW and N4QX like this.
  15. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave Bernstein and I don’t agree on everything, but I absolutely concur, based on experience during and after my ARRL tenure.

Same with Dave Sumner, who is moderating the IARU forum.

73 de Brennan SU/N4QX

WD9EWK, VE6SH and W1YW like this.