ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Affiliated Contest Clubs criticize BOD actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially since QST went cheapo and only prints the top few scores now, the advent of online claimed score websites like 3830.com and ClubLog Leaderboards has made submitting contest logs redundant.

Okay, except to weed out the cheaters, but they're just twisted losers anyway, and that could be done by others too. If whole clubs got together and boycotted submitting logs to the ARRL in major events, the value of the truncated published results would be nearly zilch.

I'm pretty sure some club or other third party might take over publishing achievement awards too; PDF files for your own printing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here, here, however, if the changes get passed next Tuesday, part of the wording is:

"The duty of loyalty means that the Board member must act in the best interests of the corporation and its mission, rather than in the
    Board member’s own interest or in the interest of another person or entity."

Your director is required to vote in the best interest of the "corporation" (The ARRL) or risk censure, removal, or ejection. Since the CEO will, if passed, have a vote, anyone who votes contrary to him will not be voting in the best interest of the corporation. Basically, your director, no matter who it is, is just a "yes man". Which begs the question, "Why would anyone want that job?". There will be absolutely no oversight by the membership, but they will gladly accept your dues to forward their own agenda.

Maybe I'm wrong....you make the call: http://www.b4h.net/ARRL_2018_Jan_Redline_BOD.pdf

W3JY/SK2022 and N0GB like this.
  3. K6DDJ

K6DDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the way it is supposed to be but from the flowing data on all the forums, it looks like it is otherwise. We shall all see in a very short time now.

W3JY/SK2022 and AF6SA like this.
  4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

First, I AM NOT a League member.

Second, I DO NOT do "any" business with the League -- subscriptions, awards, certificates etc.

I have a BS & an MBA in Finance. I worked twenty years in and around banks and another twenty years in asset management / investments.

I've had training in fraud detection, investigation & prevention.

There is a HUGH difference between "PROFITABILITY" and "CASH FLOW".

PROFITABILITY: After paying all the bills for doing business, the business has a cash surplus.

POSITIVE CASH FLOW: Profits (or loss) plus amortization of prepaid expenses. This is how much cash the business has generated to finance itself -- additions to fixed assets, prepaid expenses -- primarily insurance, etc.

In a "for profit" business, depreciation is added back to determine cash flow. Since the League is a non-profit 501(c)3, they don't take depreciation in determining their cash flow.

It is possible for a profitable business to fail if they DO NOT generate enough cash and can't finance their negative cash flow.

I welcome the opportunity to review & analyze the League's balance sheet & profit-loss statements. If anybody has the two most recent statements, please email them to me and I'll analyze them.

Jerry Brumm
    N9LCD

PS: If they're "cooking the books", I have a good idea where it'll show up!!!

KI7HSB, AG5AA and W3JY/SK2022 like this.
  5. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

YUP noticed that as well. If the ARRL isn't about the American Radio Amateur what are they about? As a 401C3 they are definitely a non profit corporation. But as you suggested, what is the corporations purpose if not representing the best interest of all radio amateurs. Particularly in the light of the fact that the ARRL is the Secretary of the IARC. I guess it's "by the corporation for the corporation" now...

AF6SA likes this.
  6. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

My point exactly! Now I will not make you suffer under the illusion I am a genius or anything but shouldn't a simple search on the actual ARRL website handily uncover the current board members? IDK, maybe an oversight, maybe not... food for thought.

7. KM4LKC

KM4LKC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.arrl.org/annual-reports

It certainly wasn't hard to find the latest financial reports.....

8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What the CEO is attempting, in concert with a minority of power grabbing Directors, is control. That is not the way the League has worked nor is it the way the League should work

9. N4KCD

N4KCD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Swamp needs drained"

W3JY/SK2022, W2CPD, W3LES and 2 others like this.
  10. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

How much of all of our diatribe will even get through to the powers that be is debatable. Over on eHam nary a hint of this discussion exists. Sometimes I think we are just voices in the wilderness. The League is so self centered that they probably could care less what is discussed here. Sad. 170,000 members times $49 equals $8,330,00 per year, so how could there possibly be a cash flow problem, that only a corporate guy like Gallagher could solve. Buy cheaper toilet paper for the Newington privies, but don't cheapen up the magazine.

W3JY/SK2022, W2CPD and W3LES like this.
  11. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow... Jerry thanks for that view on the issue. I've been reading this topic for several day and the folks commenting have done a great job of making me smarter on this issue!

12. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

WR3V, Please Don't give the ARRL directors any ideas on bathroom etiquette.

Anything but single ply Charmin, can you imagine the mess these clowns would make with single ply TP?

13. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the way it should be.....BUT.....read all the editorials from 2016 to present. Mr. G states, my interpretation and paraphrasing, that the BoD sets policy and direction then 'STAFF (i.e. paid employees) execute this at THEIR OWN discretion as directed by the CEO, with BoD 'oversight'. The BoD has no authority in direction or hiring of ANYBODY except the CEO. All they can do is fire him if they are not satisfied. Someone please site the section that indicates this is not so. This is how it works in the corporate world the current CEO comes from as well as various governmental bodies like cities and counties.

It appears to me that by stifling any opinions by directors using the 'Ethics Committee' as a bludgeon keeps everything tidy and as long as the few unelected by membership positions to keep control by disqualifying for the ballot or as they plan, excommunication(my word) from league membership. This is how I see it after studying just the material in the last couple years of QST. Not the league I joined almost half a century ago. I am hoping for a better explanation, but this should come as no surprise as among David Sumner's last editorials he warned of, again, paraphrasing, drastic changes to come all of which we may no like, at least that is that I got out of it. I'm still waiting to vote for my Southeast Division Director. Read the last couple of years editorials....you may be astonished with what is hidden there....or not. All the above is my opinion as a concerned observer.

K3FHP
    Loyal Member of the League that Maxim Built

W3JY/SK2022 and WA2LXB like this.
  14. N4AXE

N4AXE Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the "Code of Conduct" the Board of Directors plays the music grinder and yell "Dance Monkey Boy!". Maybe I am being to harsh but the Board of Directors sets the tune and the CEO and staff do the work to enforce it. Is the Board of Directors a paid position?

W3JY/SK2022 likes this.