ARRL Affiliated Contest Clubs criticize BOD actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Drilling through the more recent online info and comments a couple struck a special cord with me. They are on the blog entry "New proposals would make ARRL board even less democratic" December 22, 2017 by dan kb6nu, which details the proposed AoI and Bylaw revisions.

-------------------

Comments

Frank Howell (K4FMH) says:

My State RACES Director told me today that there are numerous emails circulating from League HQ to state ARES officials about plans underway to centralize all ARES activities out of Newingtin. This is apparently after the poor PR in PR, so to speak.

The key change here is the new CEO. A financial sector corporation is not a largely volunteer organization. This is likely to continue down a bad road, I’m afraid.

--- also ---

Todd KD0TLS says:

There’s a certain internal consistency to the ARRL’s reasoning.

If you accept the premise that the League “runs” amateur radio, then a rigid corporate approach is the natural next step. In this paradigm, the ARRL is marketing a product.

As is usual in the corporate world, more control is the common ‘solution’. Also usual is that less accountability is built in, to allow leadership to make the tough and unpopular decisions that are needed for the future. In theory, this approach is more likely to yield increased value for the shareholders. Control of the product and its marketing is essential, from the top down.

For example, if Ford decides that a new minivan is the industry’s future, they don’t want a lot of subsidiaries pushing pickup trucks or sub-compacts instead.

Obviously, this approach is flawed fundamentally. The League is an advocacy organisation, not a company marketing a brand. Even if it were, its control of that brand is ephemeral. And there are no shareholders that will see increased value on their investments should the League succeed. But if you bring in people from the corporate world to shake things up, then it’s hardly surprising that they would bring this corporate paradigm with them.

To be fair, we got to this point by hams expecting the League to “do something” about the problems facing amateur radio, as if the ARRL “ran” the hobby. And this expectation arose because the FCC has handed off virtually every responsibility that it legally can to third parties like the ARRL. In turn, this came about because the FCC’s responsibilities are tailored to the world of the 1930’s.

As operators, we need to decide what the role of the League is. That’s not as clear-cut as many would believe. The League has responsibilities that go beyond the usual advocacy group, and their success as an advocate is unimpressive. With the new FCC leadership, it’s highly possible that their influence will diminish even further. This isn’t the League’s fault, but they will get the blame.

I am not speaking in support of these changes; merely explaining the internal logic that drives them.
    -----------------

In other words, this is a bad case of an attempt at "the tail wagging the dog", starting with the relatively new chief exec (the "tail") forming a (potentially unethical) coalition with other officers and some on the BOD, who are otherwise supposed to be HIS boss (the "head") while communicating with and being elected by members (the DOG ;))

That's not saying there is a ... nefarious ... (my pet word;-) motive either, or "bad people" are involved. On the contrary, erroneous judgments and decisions have been made with perfectly justified good intentions, formed by an arrogantly faulty process under the mistaken belief that the ends justify the means.

73 de John - WØPV

N5PZJ, KT7TT, AF6SA and 4 others like this.
  2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K5IGI

K5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree, can you say "grease the skid" or "palm" as the case maybe. That is what lobbies do best after all.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would argue that League members are, in effect, "shareholders" who will see increased value in amateur radio should the League succeed.

KD8RW and W0PV like this.
  5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not in my reading the CEO's coments. What is says, in my reading over many editorials, statements and available minutes is that the BoD sets policy and the staff carries it out as they see fit, but can only force change by firing he CEO. The CEO has stated his responsibility is to the corporation and the employees it provides salaries to. He apears to me to want to just run the League like a corporation, not a membership organization. We in he SE Division are 'blessed' with a non-elected Director because the excellent honorable retired LEO Director would not sit by and follow the not yet established code of conduct. They use the ethics committee as a hammer to quiet descent. The board is not infallible and has made big mistakes in he past, IMHO, and present. Unlike a corporation, where interested people can garner a large percentage of votes, the membership can only effect one Division at a time. There are some good Directors(starting with those voting against the new CoC and it would be a mistake to vote out all sitting directors, but could someone submit others that will not destroy the League that Maxim built and supports amateur radio?

Respectfully,
    K3FHP
    Licensed since 1961, Life Member since 1972

W3JY and AF6SA like this.
  6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this is under consideration as some are up for re-election. However let's at least give them a chance to listen. If they turn stone deaf (as it seems they are well on their way to) then maybe it is a good time to start auditioning potential challengers.

AG5CC likes this.
  7. WN1MB

News flash: http://www.arrl.org/arrl-articles-of-association

Specifically, "Article 1: The name of our corporation shall be The American Radio Relay League, Incorporated."

Also respectively,
    WN1MB
    Licensed since 1969
    Associate ARRL member prior to being licensed,
    Full member upon becoming licensed,
    Life Member since early 1970's

8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You local radio clubs are likely corporations too, how long would they last if run in this manner?

9. WN1MB

Apples and oranges. Both are fruits, but quite different from one another.

Management of ARRL and local radio clubs share some common ground. However, though they're both membership societies and some clubs are corporations, their management have to be different, largely dictated by their size and financial obligations. So to expect ARRL to be managed like a much smaller radio club is naive, simplistic, flawed, as well as sheer folly.

And for the record, I do NOT agree with the recent heavy handed way the League has addressed recent events regarding some Directors and field volunteers/appointees.

AF6SA likes this.
  10. K2TTT

K2TTT Ham Member QRZ Page

A suggestion to show the solidarity of the ham radio community against this proposal it has been suggested that in the unlikely event that the proposal passes with out change, that the amateur radio community not participate in the upcoming ARRL DX contests.
    73 GO FRC!
    Jay K2TTT/C6ATT

W7MY and W3LES like this.