Arizona Homeowners Association and Hams Agree on Outdoor Antenna Guidelines

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KHG, May 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep from an HOA perspective, it's definitely reasonable. I have lived in places you could not put any outdoor antenna up and you would do anything to have anything outdoors.. but had to live with indoor antennas. A ground floor apartment was the absolute worst, the rented townhouse was better since I had access to the attic.. but access to anything outside is a huge improvement and this being allowed by an HOA is a win.

Getting back to using tall trees for wire antennas.. I was thinking about it some more.. most people I know who live in HOA neighborhoods don't have tall trees to begin with with exception of houses that might border woods.

2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You can't really expect to place an outdoor antenna on property you don't own or have any control over. The point is those residing in a HOA development are the actual home and property owners
    and not renters.

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed you can't expect to as a renter in most cases. In most cases though, when moving into an HOA the home and property owner can't expect to either as they are bound by the rules they agree to when they purchase the property. At least in this case they can get the rules changed. Still in either case, indoor antennas are certainly a challenge, I can sympathize as an indoor antenna user for several years.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw this in a very posh HOA neighborhood a couple of years ago:

upload_2019-5-15_15-46-10.png

I'm sure there's a way to fit a wire or two for a "tree vertical" in there somewhere. :p

KB2FCV likes this.
  5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a win, maybe.

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The amount of actual general class and above hams is miniscule yet they think they have the right to dictate to others.
    If you don't live in a HOA your opinion is much the same as someone in NYC telling me about gun control.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A 40m dipole, a tri-band vertical for 20, 15 and 10 and a dual bander for 2m and 70cm. These "Restrictions" allow for quite a lot of radio.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. KM6MEM

KM6MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if you really HAVE to agree to the HOA rules, or can you buy the house anyhow, and if they refuse can you sue them for discrimination?
    Or is there some special law that protects HOAs authority?
    From what I'm seeing it seems that all new housing developments are starting out as HOA and that it is getting harder to find property that isn't in an HOA.
    I mean this is still America, right?
    BTW, I have no skin in the game..I'm on the outside looking in

9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have an unrestricted NYS *&^*%$ license issued by the county where I live. It is invalid in NYC!! That stinks!!

P.S. I avoid getting down to the City as much as possible.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s always been America. Try suing the state for discrimination after refusing to obey the speed limit.

W4IOA likes this.