ad: Flexradio-1

ARES, Kilauea, and the 38th Anniversary of the Mt. St. Helens Eruption

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2ZF

W2ZF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

About a week later, I found a very light covering of ash on my house and deck. This was in Long Island, New York.

2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to ask a question. How much did Mt. St. Helens affect worldwide weather in or after 1980? Do other eruptions (known) have a cooling effect on the atmosphere? Of course, I'm thinking of Kilauea at this time, too.

3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hawaii Island aka The Big Island of Hawaii has the highest rate of Sulfur Dioxide in the Nation.
    This distinction was established back in 2016 by the EPA.

For Context,a study led by Dr Elizabeth Tam- chairwoman of medicine at the University of Hawaii Medical School-found that the air pollution output from Kilauea was equal to one-tenth of the annual pollution for all of China !

Source Honolulu Star Advertiser 5/21/18

This is another revelation that puts pollution sources in a new perspective.

Regardless our thoughts and material donations are ongoing for those affected on the Big Island of Hawaii.

G3SEA/KH6

4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

While I agree with doing whatever we can do about pollution, I also find it almost laughable that we, as a species, think WE can do better than Nature. Remaining apolitical as much as possible, I do sometimes compare our human, and feeble, efforts to the Biblical legend(?) of the Tower of Babel. Allegedly, "man" came to believe he could do better than Nature, or the Creator. So he began to build a tower to the Heavens, to "touch the Face of God", according to the story. Why did Man do that? Whether you believe it or not, there was a lesson presented in the story about "getting too big for our "breeches" (britches), trying to outdo Nature itself. Supposedly it was the basis for the various languages as the people became scattered. What I got out of the story is that it is difficult for a People to remain unified in one purpose for very long. Eventually confusion reigned, and there was a rift. (War) The tower was abandoned. The other part was, while they had extreme optimism, they had embarked on an impossible task. The technology of the period (and I believe it still does) would not allow such a tall building whatever height they thought it might be. Perhaps they began to argue, upon reaching the limits of their technology, arguments began to break out (confusion, strife).

Again this is not a Bible lesson, but just a thought, an opinion, on the global warming issue. So have we embarked on an impossible "Tower" by thinking that WE (mankind alone) can "fix" global warming? As I said, I certainly think there ARE things we can do. "Cut a tree, PLANT a tree". Make vehicles as pollution-free as possible. Don't be reckless with the planet. We are captives here (and I intend to remain on Mother Earth), but sometimes the loud, confident boastings of *certain* ones still make me smile. Are WE building another "Tower"?:confused: