APRS map display for modern times

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KX4O, May 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

All,

The radio coordinator lead for our next horse endurance ride has a somewhat modern TNC already plumbed to a serial port on one of his radio-van windows computers. We tuned the radio that feeds the TNC to 144.390 and see it is reading data.

We want to put APRS beacons on moving assets and need this TNC to be put to work receiving the local APRS packets to display on a map. Hence the radio coordinator needs some suggestions for reasonably easy to install and configure APRS map display software with the following requirements...

- Store maps locally as internet will be unavailable once on site.
    - Work with a variety of TNCs (KISS or not).
    - Not be stupid elaborate (some of the older programs are insanely un-obvious).

A quick search found this recent software title...

http://www.pinpointaprs.com/

I'll give it a try, but the bug list is a bit startling. The fact new software is in development is exciting though. Perhaps my search is over before it begins... #hopeful

Anyway, I appreciate your opinions on off-grid APRS mapping software suggestions.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Byonics makes aprs do-hickys by the ton. Look there and see if anything will fill your needs.
    Not sure, think it's. Byonics.com ?

3. AB8XG

AB8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been playing with APRS again after a couple of years away from it. I have PinPoint running on this computer now and the mapping is pretty awesome compared to what I was use to in the past UI View (which I can not get to run on windows 10 at all). Also APRSISCE is nice as far as maps and being able to download tiles for offline use, but it seems a little buggier and not sure its still supported. That seems to be about it as far as anything modern is concerned. The mapping on both are pretty good though, as far as zooming and scrolling etc. Good luck, There is still some activity in my area, but modern or even semi modern solutions seems to be a waste land.

KX4O likes this.