Apple Shoots Itself In The Foot

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by AF6LJ, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Apple has a lot to learn about getting along with others when it comes to security.

From Slashdot.org....

[h=2]Apple Snubs Security Firm That Spotted Mac Botnet[/h]Sparrowvsrevolution writes
    "Now that it's being increasingly targeted by botnet herders, Apple has a thing or two to learn about cooperating with friendly security researchers. Boris Sharov, the CEO of Dr. Web, the Russian security company that first reported more than half a million Macs were infected with Flashback malware last week, says when his company alerted Apple to the botnet, it never responded to him. Worse yet, on Monday Apple asked a Russian registrar to take down a domain it said was being used to host a command and control server for Flashback, but in fact was a 'sinkhole' that Dr. Web had set up to observe and analyze the botnet. Sharov describes the lack of communication and cooperation as a symptom of a company that has never before had to work closely with the security industry. 'For Microsoft, we have all the security response team's addresses,' he says. 'We don't know the antivirus group inside Apple.'"

2. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member

Apple, do they still make computers?

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I don't know, but their stock lets me sit here and feel sorry for you peons------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber

They don't need to.
    They have a $100 Billion cash reserve.
    They could buy both Bill Gates and Warren Buffet and have cash left over.
    Someone might want to educate them on the idea of the dividend.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

6. KD8OUR

KD8OUR Ham Member

apple is no stranger to bungles. expensive bungles not out of the question. they might be a big man now, but that changes in the tech world all too often.
    They have had just as many fails as they have success. apple II, mac, Ipod, Imac and Ipad being some good hits.

Pippin, Lisa, newton and their online service. are some bad i remember. kind of like nintendo. it's a well known name that has some flops and some home runs.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

Did someone call?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber

Yes , They are very fast. Too drain the battery.

They are a joke for the new school jokers, and bullies.

9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

Care to elaborate?

10. KA9JLM

Yes , Don't get caught with one around Houston, after dark, or they will steal it and your sneakers, and your rims.

11. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member

Now I know why there's a bite missing from their Apple... ;)

12. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member

Bite or is it a bit????

13. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member

I heard many people like Apples computer, and ipod, ipad are very popular among technologically oriented people, I must admit I am behind the time, I have PC computer, but not other newer stuff. I just can not keep up with the new technologies either learning parts and cost.

14. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

I was locked in with old things till Jan of this year bought an iPad II 64m 3g was amazed then bought the new iPhone 4s even more amazing in March got my first Mac Book.....It isn't as compelling as the iPhone, iPad think I like my Win 7 laptops better for the apps that I run it's not as bad as Linux but not as good as windows for apps being written for. More written for windows and everything else and have to run them under emulation a bummer.

I'm giving the Apple to my Grandson 12 for him to use at school he needs one anyway and the wife doesn't care for it either.

15. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

[h=2]Apple Developing Tool To Remove Flashback[/h]Trailrunner7 writes,
    quoting Threatpost: "Apple is planning to release a software fix that will find and remove the Flashback malware that has been haunting Mac users for several months now. ... Apple said on Tuesday that it was in the process of developing a tool that would detect and remove Flashback, but the company did not specify when the fix would be available. Security researchers and customers have been questioning why Apple hasn't yet provided a fix for the malware even though Flashback has been around in one form or another for more than six months now."

Thank You Slashdot.org....

16. KD8COO

KD8COO Ham Member

Most popular among the technologically advanced consumers. On the technology professional side, it depends. Apple tends to be popular amongst the artsy types and not so much among the purists. It's really interesting to see that split in action. In our department we've got a couple guys that love everything Apple and the rest of us hate it. :) I'm stuck developing some software that also needs to be accessible via iPad and it's downright painful compared to the other platforms. So far I've managed to not take the dumb thing out back and run it over with a forklift, but I've been very close to doing that... ;-)

17. KA9JLM

In the beginning Apple Donated Computers to schools and gave a discount to students.

If you used a MAC at school you needed one at home to keep up, so people bought them. That was why IBM fell behind quick.

Donating computers to schools was a smart thing for Apple to do, even tho it did cost them some money at first, but paid off in the long run. Most of their donations were a Tax write off.

I use a Windows Mobile phone and don't do third party apps, so a Iphone would be a waste of money for me.

When you have a need to jailbreak your phone, too make it work , You void the warranty, and break phone contract and copyright rules.

A phone is made for phone conversation I thought.

The Ipad is a very nice Toy and people want to make phone calls on them. Why ? Because their Iphone died ?

18. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

That's all I use my cell phone for. Thot I was the only one.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

19. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

The problem is the consumer: they want a Swiss Army knife-type device that does everything, i.e., the computing power of a PowerMac, the convenience of an iPhone, and the functionality of the iPad. There are three problems with that:

1) Just like a Swiss Army knife, it's good for performing many tasks but it doesn't do one task really well.

2) It's impractical. Who wants to lug around an iPad to use as a phone?

3) It's not a profitable business model for a manufacturer.

Mind you, these aren't limited to just Apple products but PC ones as well. (Do you want to lug around a laptop computer as a phone instead of a Droid?)

The solution is to produce a product that is really good at what it does for its main use with a little overlap of another product's functions.

20. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I agree, that's how I found my wife.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.