ad: wmr-1

Apple Cloud Burst - how tech writer Mat Honan lost his digital life

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VA3CSS, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Gizmodo's Mat Honan hacked

Before anyone suggests that I'm posting this simply to knock Apple, let me first state that this was a hacker doing what hackers do best - interfering with digital security. It wouldn't matter if this were any other brand, once the hacker has done his damage.

That being said, Apple is the most stauch supporter of "cloud computing," where all your digital info is stored in some anonymous place on the web, and accessible via multiple devices. Post your daughter's picture on your "cloud," and you can look at from your iPhone; iPad; iMac - whatever. Neat idea in concept, but the current structure is wrought with insecurities.

Even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has dire warnings about cloud computing.

So take this as a stern warning: don't put all you have into cloud computing, and manage your OWN data and backups. Don't let the web be your storage center.
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd hazard to guess he p**sed off the wrong folks and they just decided to make his life miserable.
  3. VA3CSS

Yep, that's what I think as well.
  4. KF5FEI

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree,

On the Web and Anonymous, can not be used in the same sentence.

"cloud computing" is not anonymous and is a great spy system.

Good hackers are having fun playing with it.

The best is yet to come.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish all the hackers and virus writers would unite.

In Hell.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And amazing that such a high tech target "allowed" himself to be taken out be a low tech attack. "Backup" is the key word, and "clouds" are ephemeral entities that can evaporate in an instant. Online storage as a sole method of backup is foolhardy, and fraught with danger. Whether through electrical glitch or hack attack, data can be lost, and the "cloud " will simply say "OOPS, so sorry." To me, the cloud isn't backup, although it may provide rapid access to frequently accessed data. But my sensitive data will stay on my computer ONLY, with frequent (and multiple) local backups. 0n multiple computers.
  9. N7LEO

N7LEO Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely. This is something that I tell people all the time. If your data is in only one place its not backed up. I don't care where that place is - computer, "backup" device, "the cloud" - if there's only one copy, it's not backed up and you can lose it all in an instant. Computers are great at deleting things quickly. :)
  10. KF5FEI

The "cloud" is a useful tool if you need to synchronize data between devices or temporarily back up a device so you can update or replace it and restore your data easily. However, it isn't a single solution for a day-to-day backup. The sad thing is I'm sure he was paying for extra space -- Apple doesn't give you much storage capacity for free.
  11. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The cloud idea is not very smart from the get-go..
    First in many cases you sign your rights to your material away...
    Second if your data gets lost you are out of luck and have nowhere to turn for damages.

When the cloud goes down you cannot do business.

Take responsibility for your own data, don't send it to the cloud..
  12. N0WUE

N0WUE Ham Member QRZ Page

using a cloud for storage purposes is pretty lame

if you're using it for distributed processing, it's awesome.

Also, about backups... redundant storage is not really a backup. That comment will undoubtably cause some confusion, but enjoy.
  13. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you able to point to a Terms of Service or similar document on any cloud provider where you sign away rights to your material?
  14. KF5FEI

I've seen some publicly accessible photo and blog sites with this disclaimer, but doubtful a private cloud storage provider would do this.
  15. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When Cloud was first introduced, it appeared to be a Micro$haft product (That ought
    to make you suspicious iin the 1st place). As time progressed, there were different
    clouds, but none guaranteed security or hack-proof. It was at this point, I decided that
    cloud computing was not safe for making back-ups and plan to use the DVD burner to
    do mine.

The Part 90, Public Safety database will be in a seperate section of the 2TB hard drive and
    running DOS 6.22. The rest of the drive will be for pictures, music, electronics.

Submitted Respectfully,

16. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I haven't seen enough sites but I've never seen a big name / mainstream site that says if you upload a photo or writing or other content then we own your content.

The thing that most sites have is a clause that says something like "You grant us permission to make it available on the internet for the purposes of operating the service". If you read those clauses carefully, they need that to cover themselves and make the service actually work. If you upload a photo to Flickr, you need to grant Flickr the right to send it out again through a web server otherwise the system cannot even function.

Most of the uproar that has occurred from time to time over the years with terms of service on various sites seem to have been a misunderstanding of that clause, sometimes because of bad wording
  17. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Wozniak hasn't been right since the crash. He's functionally a derp. He's happy and folks humor him so I am glad for him, but his opinion are like listening to "Corky" from Life Goes On.
  18. KF5FEI

OK, it sounds like you aren't familiar with the purpose of cloud storage. It is 3rd party, off-site, live, private storage. The storage space is supposed to be private, confidential, and only accessible by the user. A place that exists on the internet for you to store secure copies of documents, phone books, etc...
  19. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure would like to hear a recording of that social engineering phone call the hacker made to the "help desk".
  20. VA3CSS

It's not a "product" at all.

It's a method of storage.

So don't look for a brand name to be attached to it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.