Apple Cloud Burst - how tech writer Mat Honan lost his digital life

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VA3CSS, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Gizmodo's Mat Honan hacked

Before anyone suggests that I'm posting this simply to knock Apple, let me first state that this was a hacker doing what hackers do best - interfering with digital security. It wouldn't matter if this were any other brand, once the hacker has done his damage.

That being said, Apple is the most stauch supporter of "cloud computing," where all your digital info is stored in some anonymous place on the web, and accessible via multiple devices. Post your daughter's picture on your "cloud," and you can look at from your iPhone; iPad; iMac - whatever. Neat idea in concept, but the current structure is wrought with insecurities.

Even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has dire warnings about cloud computing.

So take this as a stern warning: don't put all you have into cloud computing, and manage your OWN data and backups. Don't let the web be your storage center.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd hazard to guess he p**sed off the wrong folks and they just decided to make his life miserable.

3. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that's what I think as well.

4. KF5FEI

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree,

On the Web and Anonymous, can not be used in the same sentence.

"cloud computing" is not anonymous and is a great spy system.

Good hackers are having fun playing with it.

The best is yet to come.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish all the hackers and virus writers would unite.

In Hell.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And amazing that such a high tech target "allowed" himself to be taken out be a low tech attack. "Backup" is the key word, and "clouds" are ephemeral entities that can evaporate in an instant. Online storage as a sole method of backup is foolhardy, and fraught with danger. Whether through electrical glitch or hack attack, data can be lost, and the "cloud " will simply say "OOPS, so sorry." To me, the cloud isn't backup, although it may provide rapid access to frequently accessed data. But my sensitive data will stay on my computer ONLY, with frequent (and multiple) local backups. 0n multiple computers.

9. N7LEO

N7LEO Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely. This is something that I tell people all the time. If your data is in only one place its not backed up. I don't care where that place is - computer, "backup" device, "the cloud" - if there's only one copy, it's not backed up and you can lose it all in an instant. Computers are great at deleting things quickly. :)

10. KF5FEI

The "cloud" is a useful tool if you need to synchronize data between devices or temporarily back up a device so you can update or replace it and restore your data easily. However, it isn't a single solution for a day-to-day backup. The sad thing is I'm sure he was paying for extra space -- Apple doesn't give you much storage capacity for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.