ad: ProAudio-1

Apollo 11 Comms

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the talking heads on the news said, “Everyone remembers where they were on this day 50 years ago.” Well, I don’t. I was 21 years old and my ship had just returned from a 6 month deployment to the Med in late May so, we were probably just starting a shipyard overhaul , which was rough duty in that they had started tearing out a lot of stuff and the ship was not a very pleasant place to be. I must have watched it on a TV somewhere but I can’t remember where.
    Tom WA4ILH

K8AI likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was different, yet not so different. There were no cell phones and computers, and an 8-track tape player was high tech. But, unfortunately, the divisions in the country were much the same.

Anyhow, 30% is still a lot of people. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  3. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I gotta hand it to you, an incredible talent for putting a negative spin on anything. What's your take on eating raw oysters? :rolleyes:

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Negative spin? Just telling it the way it was. Credit where credit is due.

It was a brilliant move on the part of the Allies to try to "acquire" as much advanced German technology as possible - both the weapons and the people who made them. Imagine if the Rooskies had got hold of Von Braun....

Some folks remembered what he did before, too....

5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

History is history, a tautology of profound implication. They had theirs, we had ours. Theirs did not thrive, given the nonsensical and dictatorial nature of their culture. Here, they did. Von Braun in the hands of the Russians would likely have achieved very little. Indeed, the Russians achieved very little anyway. Yes, the first satellite, the first person in space. Why? Because they had no ability at building compact nuclear munitions. Theirs were massive, requiring massive rockets to transport to a target. Ours were much more elegant, requiring only minimal lifting devices at the time. So, in a sense, when it came time to put men into space, we were at a disadvantage. One that quickly disappeared when the sociopolitical climate demanded it. The poor Rooskis never had a chance, did they?

Von Braun lived in a time and a place (NAZI Germany) where the simple notion of survival required dealing with and accommodating the dictates of a very few certifiably insane madmen. One can ponder how that came to be, but one cannot question how some chose survival over annihilation. It is a biologically ingrained instinct in every living thing.

History is rife with similar examples.

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Watch and listen!

N5CM likes this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome Back

8. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Buzz Aldrin mother, Marion Moon. The ultimate foreshadow?

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought you were making that up -- but that was actually her name. Wow, talk about coincidence. :)

Very sad story, tho. :(

10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Buzz Aldrin deserved more of the limelight than he got. I was also very glad to see Armstrong trying to shun it as much as he could. NASA channel has a 1 hour documentary called "The Armstrong Tapes" and I watched it last night...Neil Armstrong was a very very brave, and private man. Chuck Yeager had nothing on Armstrong.