ad: Winterfest-1

Anyone running Thetis with Anan 7000dle mkII?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by AG5CK, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have tried loading protocol 2 firmware into the rig several times with no luck. The bootloader goes through the process as it should, but Thetis and sdr console V3 will not work. When I click the power button in Thetis I get an error asking if the hardware is powered on and connected. I use the bootloader to go back to protocol 1 and all is good.

I have successfully installed protocol 2 with the hpsdr bootloader and used Thetis with an anan 100 but no joy with the 7000.

2. N3LK

N3LK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just purchased the ANAN
    N3LK NOTE ->> Just purchased 7000dle mkII and installed protocol 2 (which required me to install a missing DLL file which could not be "legally" included in the protocol 2 install kit). After adding the missing DLL file P2 worked fine and loaded Thetis 2.6.8 . . . works great! Simon's SDR 3.0.16 also works fine! The "missing file" problem has been documented and requirement should be flagged when loading P2. Also, suggest using the bootloader with direct LAN connections.

AG5CK likes this.
  3. AG5CK

Thanks. I didn't find any documentation about a DLL file. I did find that WinPcap had to be installed and they could not legally put it in their installer. I did install WinPcap back when I was messing with the anan 100. I also read that protocol 2 does not play with all serial numbers of the same model. I am using the boot loader and a direct ethernet connection to the pc.

Did you set up a static ip address for the anan or just plug it in and go? I have not successfully done this either. I wonder if that could have something to do with it? I'm in over my head here and trying to eliminate as many things as possible. :)

4. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the shortcomings of the ANAN ecosystem is documentation. It's really the only shortcoming I've encountered. The pcap requirement is noted on the HPSDR site here:

https://openhpsdr.org/download.php

A link at the bottom of that page takes you here:

https://github.com/TAPR

That's where you can find the firmware files.

As far as compatibility, I think the timing issues are only with ANAN 100D models.

Well, I assigned my radio's IP with a DHCP reservation on my router. So it's static- but I didn't need to set it on the radio. Can't think of any advantage to a static IP- other than always knowing where the radio is in IP land.

One disadvantage of a truly static IP (setting it on the radio) comes from changes to the network or moving the radio to another network- it may become unfindable since it will not query the DHCP server for a new IP.

So use a DHCP reservation. That way if you replace a router and the IP range changes or you move it to a friends house to use it the radio will always be findable.

HOWEVER: If you are running a smart, managed switch, you may have problems. I don't think the discovery protocol works properly in some cases. It's best to put the radio and controlling PC on a "dumb switch". Most home routers are have a unmanaged switch built into them. A cheap switch from the local computer store will be unmanaged. Think something like a Dlink, Netgear, or TP-Link 5 or 8 port switch.

Don't get discouraged. These radios will help you up your game in the computer and networking area while providing an excellent radio experience.

It's worth the pain- and there are no stupid questions.

AG5CK likes this.
  5. AG5CK

That is where I found the note about pcap and where I have been getting the firmware files. The anan is connected directly to my pc and that pc connects to the internet via wifi. Either the process for uploading firmware is different a 100 and 7000 or this rig just isn't going to work with Thetis and P2 at this time. I have used Thetis and P2 with my 100 but it wasn't fully functional. RX and TX was fine. No fwd or ref power meter so the swr meter and puresignal did not work. I have went through the same process with the 7000 (with the respective firmware) but it's a brick with protocol 2 firmware installed. If I'm being dense someone give me a slap on the back of the head.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. KB1YFD

KB1YFD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an anan 7000DLE S/N 13 and am running Thetis ver 2.6.8 d6_2. Here are the links to the files I used.

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2993
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndahfr5zgh1l252/Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v2.0_pre1.rbf?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvrhkpqxqb5cjot/Thetis_0110_011119_d6.zip?dl=0

This last link is to a ZIP file containing .DLL and the Thetis.exe file. Just unzip them and drop them into the working folder. On my win10 PC it's C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenHPSDR\Thetis

Best of luck, John KB1YFD

AG5CK likes this.
  7. KB1YFD

KB1YFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is protocol 2. I had to add metis to the name for the bootloader to work. John KB1YFD

Attached Files:

8. AG5CK

Thanks.
    Thanks. I have been having to change the name to metis also. All is good except for the dll file. The link was a dead end.

Capture.PNG