Anyone ever convert a 2 meter all mode (SSB) to work on 222 MHz?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K3SK, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K3SK

K3SK Ham Member QRZ Page

With the lack of commercial 222 SSB rigs available for use I'm wondering if anyone has ever taken a more modern 2 meter (144 MHz) rig that is SSB capable and converted it to work on the 222 MHz ? If so, which model and how difficult?

I currently use an FT-736R for 222 SSB. I don't use the other 3 bands in the radio at all. When contesting the FT-736R is somewhat of a burden as it does not have a CAT interface that will provide frequency/mode information to any logging software. The FT-736R CAT interface is a one-way interface, software drives the radio, but no status is sent back to the computer. My other VHF/UHF SSB gear have a more modern CAT interface and work with just about any logging software. I would prefer to have the same ability on 222 MHz and I'm not ready to move to a transverter for 222 MHz I used transverters for just about everything except 6 meters back in the 1970s & 80s and don't feel like dealing with the complexity of getting it all hooked up and working or the risk of setting something wrong while operating and smoking something. A very common occurrence back in the transverter days.

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone told me he converted his Icom 202 to to 222MHz. This is a pretty involved project as there are a bunch of filters that need to be re-tuned.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I modified a Hallicrafters HA-2 2-meter transverter to 222 MHz. Those transverters are capable of handling up to 100-watts transmitter input (10-meters) so you don't have to worry about blowing up the transverter.

I use a patch panel to connect between the i.f. (10-meter) equipment and my various transverters. Even if I make a mistake, there is no possibility of harming any of the equipment.

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea, but not very portable.:p

My first 222 MHz xvtr was homebrew, from the ARRL VHF Manual, and used a 6360 mixer driving a 6360 P-P PA at about 20W PEP and it worked very well. Small, light, portable...but required AC power and stuff, and I didn't build in a big attenuator so it only took about 50mW at 28 MHz to drive it (and back then, we were on 220 MHz, not 222 MHz).

Today I'd just buy one from DEMI and probably "attach" it to a 10m rig so they never separate, and the whole thing would be portable and 12Vdc powered. I see DEMI xvtrs and now "Q5Signal" near Orlando. I hope they produce Q5 signals.
    http://q5signal.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=56

N5WVR likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Uniden HR-2510 with the power cut back to around 1-watt (internal adjustment) that I use with my Microwave Modules 432 MHz transverter. The HR-2510 is the one that I got for $10.00 including shipping. The transverter then drives a modified Motorola B amplifier with a single 4CX250B to about 175-watts output.

My original 220 / 222 MHz set up was a home-brew transmitting converter using a 6360 in the final and an Ameco CN-222 converter for receiving. Then, I got a second HA-2 (for a very good price) and converted it to use on 222 MHz. I did add a low noise preamplifier to the receiving side that does help a little.

Glen, K9STH

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good idea.

I used to use a Ten Tec Argonaut (analog rig) for my 220 (now 222) MHz transverter, with the transverter bolted to the top cover so they went together as a pair. I added a 20 dB, 5W attenuator in line between the Argo TX output and the transverter input so it could never be overdriven, and used a separate RX antenna connection which was available at the rear panel anyway. That rig was not "rock stable," so may not have been good enough for the new weak signal digital modes, but was definitely good enough for SSB and CW, which is all I ever used.

To have dedicated "pairs" like this, using older, low powered HF rigs like the HR-2510 (or the Radio Shack HTX equivalent, etc) is a slick way to not end up with a jumble of wires and jumpers, and allows each band station to be separate from the others. It's also not expensive!