ad: elecraft

anyone built a 5/8 vertical for 10m

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4AEQ, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I looking for plans to build a 5/8 wave vertical for 10m. I keep thinking I will
    find a old CB 5/8 to convert at some yardsale or fleamarket but havent so far so
    and after having success building a colinear vertical for vhf now im ready to
    try again. Im trying to pickup a local traders net on 28.375, most checkins are in a 40 mile radius, I added a 10m leg to my HF dipole but signals to the sides are very very weak. I could easily build a 1/4wave but my thinking is a 5/8 with longer element would receiver much better.
  2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

It just might. Try it and see.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CB antennas work fine for 10 with just a smidge of tweaking.
  5. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was given a Imax 2000 with the ground radials from a cb station that quit.

With just a bit extra ground wires it works fine on 10/12/15/17

Working that like years, so i can choose between the OCF and the vertical

Any cb 5/8 will work on 10 meters, just keep it a few inches shorter.
  6. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew a ham once who used a 5/8 wavelength CB antenna, a Shakespeare Big Stick, to work 10 meters and had good luck with it, working DX all over on it using a 25 watt Uniden HR2510. Of course, this was back around 1989 when the sunspots were higher than now. To answer your question, yes, it can be done.
  7. KC0TKS

KC0TKS Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply your 10m J pole

Looks like the kind of project I would like to try, the webpage has great closeup
    photos. I had thought of a 10m J pole before but alot of post say you have
    to isolate a J pole from all metal or it wont work. Guess you have actually done
    it and it works so this maybe my project for the coming Holidays.
  9. KI4SYR

KI4SYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maco V-58

I've been using a Maco V-58 for about 4 years, two of which was on CB. It worked great for CB and when I shortened it for 10m, its working better than ever. I used to use it a bunch for ground wave, but it even works great for DX. I've never needed more than 100w, most of the time just a 25w HTX-10 will do the trick.

A local store was selling them for $65 back then, not sure on the price now, but I know they still offer them. Maco makes some fine antennas, and all aluminum construction. PM me for the local store number.
  10. CT2JUT

CT2JUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have just built a 5/8 vertical antenna for 17m band with help from some antenna modeling software and ARRL antenna books.

It does not work as good as i though (but it should outperform my 1/2 wave dipole also monobander for 17m) as the 5/8 vertical take-off angle is much more lower.

Anyway, i´m still confused about the radials sizes, i´m using 1/4 elevated radials (as the antenna is on the building´s roof).

According to software, the antenna will perform better with full wave size radials, also at 1/2 wave high.

I wonder if anyone has some experience or opinios regarding improving my homemade antenna?

It´s nicely matched with a tapped coil, it presents a low swr, but as we all now, this means nothing, even a dummy load will do.

I´m looking for good performance like 3.3dBi and around 16º angle elevation.

Any thoughts???

Cheers in advance,

11. K3ACE

K3ACE Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious what you mean by "not working as good as I thought". The 17m band has not been optimal lately and what you may be experiencing may be because of the lack of sunspots. I have a 40 meter ground mounted vertical that I have used on 17 with the assistance of a tuner. Although I have had only a few contacts on 17 the last several weeks, each one lasted 20 minutes or more with a slight amount of QSB. Unfortunately, my antenna came down in a windstorm the other week and I haven't been able to operate.

I have thought about building a ground mounted 5/8 wave vertical for 17, but not sure if it would out perform a ground mounted 1/4 wave or not. Of course a good counterpoise would be employed either way.
  12. CT2JUT

Indeed 17m band has been very poor lately, some fair openings now and then.

So i don´t really have any good terms of comparision.

Anyway, when i switch between the dipole and the 5/8 vertical i get in average minus 1 s-meter unit on reception when working on the 5/8.

I feel that there is still something to do regarding this study.

Maybe i should elevate the radiator a little bit more, and slightly tilt down the radials.

Does this sound OK?
  13. CT2JUT

Full size antennas are the best.

But the high above ground is a major factor!
  14. KE4SWA

KE4SWA Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing to consider - are the hams on the trader net using vertical antenna? If they are vertical eveb a 1/4 wave ground plane will work a lot better than a wire. If they are horizontal then you would need a rotatable dipole.As others have said you should be able to pick an old CB antenna up real cheap because of the lull in sunspots. One thing to watch for is antennas with cheap matching coils, a lot of CB antennas haveinferior quality coils and cannot handle wattage very well. If you can find one , the Astroplane is a good antenna and it doesnot have a loding coil to burn out. They can easily handle a KW if you want to use that much power.I have built my own 1/4 wave 20m ground plane, the nice part is no matching coil, and have worked all over with just it and a Kenwoon TS 520S .Gool luck!
  15. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

hi all..

First off Happy New Year to all...

During christmas I usually do some some cleaning up and toss things out..

I had a bunch of old Aust. radio was having a read and if nothing of interest..its gone.....but I came across an article and I remembered this thread..

The article was...Extending the a Leo Weller VK3YX

Its 2 5/8 verticals 0.125 apart on a wooden frame...the elements insulated from the wood..
    The claimed gain was about 8dbi will very low radiation angle..
    Elements must have equal current and fed 180deg out of phase.
    he came up with a few ideas to test the current using small lamps and such..

Might be worth a go.....not much extra space needed... not sure how it would go with local signals..
    And after reading your first post...might not be what your looking for as it is directional ...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  16. N9MSH

N9MSH Ham Member QRZ Page

like others have stated on here if you already have a cb ant. just tweak it a little(shorten) and it will work fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.