ad: ProAudio-1

Anybody Have Any Influence With The NCVEC?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AB3TQ, Mar 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

In my experience the NCVEC seems mostly unresponsive to ordinary hams. They certainly have not been responsive to me. If they did their volunteer Question Pool job perfectly, that would be less of an issue. Is making a public posting on the ZED the only possible way to get their attention?

Does anyone else think that the word “the” is missing from these new 2016 Extra Question Pool Distractors? And it seems both should read the same. Both should be “measurement” or both should be “measurements”.

E1D03 (B) [97.3]
    D. An amateur station that transmits telemetry consisting of measurements of upper atmosphere

E1D04 (A) [97.3]
    C. An amateur station that transmits telemetry consisting of measurement of upper atmosphere

Every one of the following Questions or Distractors read to me as badly written English. Am I wrong? The NCVEC says: We would like to remind the public that users of question pool documents are free to correct minor typographical or punctuation errors, including obvious minor omissions of same. Such corrections must not cause a change in the meaning of a question or any of the proposed answers to the questions.

But what if they are not just simple typos or punctuation, but are instead unclear poorly written English? At issue is the inability of the NCVEC to read and write simple English. Has anyone noticed other poorly written English that I might have missed in the new 2016 Extra Question Pool?

E2E13 (D)
    B. The protocol version you are using is not the supported by the digital station

E4A01 (C)
    Which of the following parameter determines the bandwidth of a digital or computer-based oscilloscope?

E4A03 (B)
    Which of the following test instrument is used to display spurious signals and/or intermodulation distortion products in an SSB transmitter?

E4A08 (D)
    Which of the following instrument would be best for measuring the SWR of a beam antenna?

E6C01 (A)
    B. To allow the comparator to be used with AC input signal

E6F14 (B)
    B. They may be hard view through polarized lenses

In the second release errata, Question E9A06, a hyphen was removed from “beam-width” to make it “beamwidth”. That is now that only occurrence in any Question, Answer or Distractor of “beamwidth”. There are 2 remaining occurrences of “beam-width”, and 4 of ”beam width”. Can anyone explain any specific technical difference between “beam-width”, “beamwidth” and “beam width”? Why can’t they just be standardized?

beam-width
    E9B01
    E9B08

beam width
    E9C14 (x2)
    E9C15 (x2)

KC9UDX likes this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do....I will pass this on to the powers that be.
    Eric

KC9UDX and KW4EK like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have passed your comments on to the high command...whether they respond or not is another issue. It was agreed by many of us in the lower echelons that they did a rather poor job this year. However, I may be on the question pool committee soon, which means, of course, i'll have more clout. Stay tuned.

Eric

4. AB3TQ

It has now been two months since the 3rd Public Release of the 2016 Question Pool. In eight weeks there will be applicants that have taken the new test. It seems that what we have now has to be considered "official". What is the latest date an updated Public Release has ever been issued? Will those imperfections now be allowed to stand for four years?

I will just have to add my own unobtrusive "edit" notes to high-lite the language flaws for my implementation of the Pool.

I hope the NCVEC is at least embarrassed to have knowingly left such shoddy work out there with their name attached to it. It is clearly time for some new blood in that process.

Glenn AB3TQ

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

While I agree that such "typo's" should have been caught, BUT...

Do they pose any jeopardy to the actual integrity of the exams, or even the correct answer to the question as posed? Sorry, but even our VE's and instructors pour over the questions (and answers) to find the proper question and answer, and human error does NOT affect the meaning or answer because of a typo. I'd suggest you submit a comment to the NCVEC , but unless the change (or in your mind, a correction) creates a conflict, there will be no change to the question pool. Other than that, I'd (suggest with all due respect) you get a life and not get so upset over the fact that human error and the fact that nit-picking typos exist.

KC2UGV likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

Do they pose any jeopardy to the actual integrity of the exams, or even the correct answer to the question as posed? Sorry, but even our VE's and instructors pour over the questions (and answers) to find the proper question and answer, and human error does NOT affect the meaning or answer because of a typo. I'd suggest you submit a comment to the NCVEC , but unless the change (or in your mind, a correction) creates a conflict, there will be no change to the question pool. Other than that, I'd (suggest with all due respect) you get a life and not get so upset over the fact that human error and the fact that nit-picking typos exist.

Now, if you are a professional copyright editor, I'm sure the ARRL would welcome your volunteer service to peruse their publications with a fine tooth comb prior to release..

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They pore over the questions I hope.

Well, it looks as though they did pour over them.

Which instrument, of the following ...

Of the following, which instrument ...

Of the following instruments, which...

Which of the following instruments...

Consistent bad grammar is not typos, and gives amateur radio a bad name.

8. AB3TQ

In about 8 months we should be looking for the newest Tech Pool release from the Question Pool Committee of the NCVEC. As I am not aware of any recent change out of Committee Members, I know exactly what kind of editorial quality to expect in the written portion of that release.

But there was a different kind of change that was introduced with the 2016 - 2020 Extra Exam. I can only find diagrams related to that most recent question pool in the .pdf format. For the 2014 - 2018 Tech and the 2015 - 2019 General question pools, I have .jpg format diagrams saved corresponding to those exams. Am I the only one that is not a fan of only offering .pdf diagrams? Is there a good free program available that will convert a .pdf to a .jpg?

9. WA9SVD

OK, I'm still in the WinXP hole, but you should be able to download a free version of "Adobe Reader" to view the required files. JPEG (or ".jpg") files are meant to be picture or other graphic files, and often NOT reviewable (i.e., poor resolution, etc.) as text. I don't understand what is the problem. When I download (or view) a .pdf file from a web page, I get asked whether I want to open it in Adobe reader, or save it to some location (usually on the back side of the moon...) But a .pdf file should allow some form of save as another format, or directly through a printer.

In a similar context: I still use MS Orifice '97. It all does all I need and much more. But some of our club's "instructors" insist on sending communiques (and lesson plans) in Win "docx" format, which Office 97 can not read. They are apparently too busy/LAZY to click on the "send to format" option so that everyone using "not the latest, greatest, MS version" file format can read their submissions. I finally just gave up and dropped out of the training program with a leave of absence (and senses.) Sending all files in .pdf format eliminates most (perhaps not all) problems between program differences and even the difference between MS, LINUX, Apple OS and most others.

Last edited: May 16, 2017