Any youth contesters here?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KJ5T, Dec 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see quite a few youth posting here, and I as I am mere months away from being a "Hall of Fame" member of the World Wide Young Contesters ( WWYC - Hall of Fame is for those who have reached 30).

I joined fairly late in the game, the club started in 1999, I joined in 2004 as member number 617. There are 909 members globally but if you look on the list there aren't many "youth" left. The purpose of the group is to encourage youth to participate in amateur radio contests. I know I have posted about the group here before but I wanted to invite those who are interested in amateur radio contesting to check it out at www.wwyc.net. It would be great for the new generation to take the reigns from old now OM's and continue growing the group.

So, are there any contesters here? Share your stories about what contests you have participated in. I used to play around in the contests in high school with nothing more than a 4BTV and an IC-718. It doesn't take much and operating from a less than stellar station is a great way to build skills.

MARRS likes this.
  2. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Love contests once I sit down I will not move till the propagation stops in fact at several clubs they have threatened to lock me in the shack as they wanted to go home!

The problem I have at home is I get a large pileup going which is good fun then a big gun station sits either above or below me to catch my cast offs (can't blame them its a tactic)
    Cause I am using an older rig with less filtering and they are using large power with a rig with good filtering I get wiped.

I do try to keep going but in the end I lose.
    Although there are some other big gun stations that chaperoned me and have helped me lots by telling them to move on ps thank you

Just need to get a rig with better filtering for contests.

But I do love older radios especially 101zd think they sound nicer on air than modern rigs and they have a heart that glows.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    KM4SII and W9RLG like this.
  3. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

That sound like me, Summer! When I operate contests from a station other then my own I usually operate a remote station down in Texas. That way there is no one that needs to go home and I can (and usually do) operate the whole contest with just a few naps here and there when rates are slow. :)

MI0YLT and W7UUU like this.
  4. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I am a youth contester. :) A lot of my scores from my home QTH are nothing too super exciting as my home station is fairly simple. Just various wire antennas over here and a max power of 100w.

As I mentioned above, I do however frequently contest remotely, usually as KJ5Y or W5FMH. This past weekend is perhaps my best single op contest to date despite the horid conditions. I was able to work 2,064 stations and make nearly 2.3 Million points in around 30 hours of operating time. That was really fun!! I am hoping to win the rookie overlay as I have only been licensed for two years.

Hopefully we have some more youth contesters here on the forums besides myself and Summer. I know of several such as KC1CWF and W4FS who operate from some of the biggest contest station in the US and put up some amazing scores as well as ZL4YL who is a superb CW op and operates from the very nice ZM4T contest station down in New Zealand. There are others too, but those are just a few.

73 de KM4SII - Mason (15 years old)

K7JOE, MI0YLT and W7UUU like this.
  5. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I contest frequently. I am not a big gun or anything. I have only 100 watts. The best I have ever done in a contest is 10 hours with 311 contacts on cw. I hope to improve once I do more contests. 73

KM4SII likes this.
  6. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Indiana university amateur radio club, K9IU took home a few plaques this past year in the NA collegiate challenge. 1st place SSB and 3rd place RTTY. Contesting and youth ham radio activity go hand in hand!

Thanks to the society of Midwest contesters for sponsoring the collegiate challenge !

In photo:

KD9DAB Ryan (President standing)
    KC9LVH White shirt
    KB9MQU blue shirt
    KC9ZKQ Also blue shirt
    KD9MVB Gray shirt and ball cap.
    Harold Sellappan Red shirt
    Trevor Cutshall Blue shirt ball cap.

The contest crew @K9IU

Attached Files:

K6BFL, NQ9L and KM4SII like this.