Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I did mean school there. There's a local school that uses NHMS's road course - classroom instruction, then track time.

Man, I already go through lots of tires....

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Something about that downhill attracts animals. Yours is the third incident I've heard of. My buddy barely missed a buzzard that decided to take off in front of him at that downhill left. Another buddy barely missed a rabbit. I guess i should wear hunter orange next time.

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just do it. They aint handing out trophies so there is no wrong way to ride. Ride your own pace, sneak up on the speed. Ask a coach for pointers. Youll know when your are doing it wrong: the fun stopped.

4. KC1CHG

KC1CHG Ham Member QRZ Page

A Ninjette or similar bike is a lot of fun on the track (especially a tight one like NHMS) and doesn't eat tires. Also, passing a someone riding a 600cc sport bike on a 250 is a hoot, at least as long as they don't then blast around you on the straight and park it into the T1/T2 combo.

K1IGS likes this.
  5. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alas, that is the challenge. A long time ago I learned that money can buy a lot of things... but it can't buy speed.

Which is to say, there's a ton of guys out there with more in their bank account than in their resume. Guys who will show up at a track day with all manner of tricked out bikes and gear. But who, when they get out there where it all matters... suck. You know, the guy riding the 150+ HP literbike who pins it on every straight, but tiptoes through every corner. And given the absolute (and entirely appropriate) rule of nearly every trackday organization - you can only pass on the outside - that sets up talented small-bike riders for a day of frustration.

The only real escape from that I ever found is in the much smaller 'Advanced' groups... and those bring their own challenges.

6. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think frustration is only a matter of perspective.

I recall a trackday/weekend at Grattan Raceway in W. Michigan in mid '90s.
    It poured rain all day Saturday, and all morning on Sunday.
    At that point in my motorcycling life, I'd passed many thousands of rain miles under my boots; mountain roads, Interstate highways, forest 2-tracks, you name it. I knew that bike well and what to expect.

My trusty 65hp Suzuki GS500E was no match for all the shiny, expensive, & LOUD hardware on the main straight, but I'd pass a bunch of those tip-toers during and after the 1st turn. It would be nearly until the final bend onto the main straight where they'd catch me again. Lap after lap, after lap. I tried to keep count, but it was too distracting. I'm sure I'd made over 100 passes that weekend, and dampened my burning desire for the 900SS that I was poised to buy. I left that weekend very satisfied with what I had, and my own skills.

Frustrating? That's a glass half-empty view, IMHO. It's really the same joy as operating QRP.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

Note: The photo I've linked to is not mine, but simply found on the web. Credit to it's owner...
    http://bikes-media1.bestcarmag.com/...500-e/1989/1989-suzuki-gs-500-e-96619-441.jpg

7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I once hit a jackrabbit at speed on my MC. I braced for the impact waiting to go over the bars but nothing happened. I looked back and I center-punched the jackrabbit dead. I didn't feel a thing. Can't say the same for the jackrabbit...

8. NG5O

NG5O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be the 5 lb/1000 lb phenomenon. Not much of a challenge for the 1K lb player.

9. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started riding at age nine. I started to race MX in my mid teens (14 or so). I was hired by Yamaha Factory as a FSM and road raced for a few years. My racing stopped in my mid 20's, as I lost that critical edge. I road sport bikes (FZR1000) until age 45 where the speed that I was comfortable and the law differed greatly. I subsequently got into super moto and enduro racing. I still ride at least once a month off road and on road when it is warm enough. As long as I can sling a leg over the seat, I'll be on the road and trail. I did sell most of my collection a year an a half ago, it became a storage and maintenance nightmare and I stopped appreciating them all. They are in a good home now.
    When I turned 50, I decided to no longer ride aggressively and have crashes or falling be an option. So I never ride over 8/10ths anymore. As my ability to ride diminishes, HAM is replacing that hobby.

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I rode with two guys a few years older than me who were MXers and Ice Racers for many years. In their 60's they were racing "Vintage Classes". Both quit as the result of bad crashes for 70 year olds! Of the 3 of us only one of the former MXers is still riding his street bike....but he is not putting anywhere near the miles on a bike as he did when all three of us were riding. After we retired we rode every Thursday when the weather was good....and sometimes when not so good.

A stroke put the other MXer out of riding and a Sciatic Nerve Problem put me out of riding. Sciatic nerve problem must be genetic because one of my sons is considering going up his bike for the same reason.

The ham hobby is a good one for us older people....as long as you avoid towers and ladders!

KB2SUJ likes this.