ad: rfparts

Any early opinions/reviews of the new Hamvention site?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, May 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The pictures make all the venues look small and closed in. Not the larger spaces like at the HARA. Some look very dark. And going from building to building in the rain could be uncomfortable. Can't make it this year but will get reports from a couple that did make the long trip from Alaska.
    I always enjoyed the Hamvention. Despite the complaints I heard from others. It IS a hamfest. Not a blacktie soiree at the Waldorf.

K4YND likes this.
  2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it turned out pretty well. It is a bit more difficult to get into because there are just not as many ways to get to the location like there were at Hara. Our group had a flea-market space and parking around the "race track" so we left early and got in pretty easily thought no where near as quick as Hara. Folks who came in later were stuck even longer in line.

Weather was nice today and didn't rain until later afternoon with a few sprinkle around 3PM that passed really quick but by about 4:30 more rain was on the way with some heavy stuff.

Flea market was busy!

If any complaint, the INDOORS buildings are NOT air conditioned!! They were HOT and that's a bummer. Really enjoyed the relief indoors with the cooler air at Hara. I was outside 98% of the time today but going inside tomorrow a bit more so will get a better feel for that.

Nice thing about the flea market is it's GRASS so it doesn't heat up like the hardtop at Hara.

....................Bob

W5INC likes this.
  3. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a town in Pa, close to Harrisburg named Carlisle. This town is smart enough to hold National car events at their County fairgrounds, right in the middle of town. 10 car shows a year (?) and the town knows how to cater to the tourists who show up. Back yards are paved over for close parking, children with cell phones and carts who come to your purchase spot and take the piece right back to your car for you, so you don't have to carry it. Great food vendors at the grounds, usually a few local restaurants along with some independents all vie for your cash. Real competition as word spreads very fast on who is serving up the good vittles. Local cops don't write tickets on parade night, when cars are cruising around town, burning the tires up, in tiny spurts during the parade.

This venue grew over the years and didn't start off with the facilities that are now there at the grounds. Once the cash got injected into the local economy, instead of private pockets, the venue really took off. Venue buildings were put up every year and the city continues to make improvements to the fairgrounds every year. Toilets that work properly in clean areas, having paved parking areas, large buildings that are well it, having good local vendors serving quality food products isn't asking too much for your admission fee, is it? The Hara dump was privately owned with little to no maintenance done to it for years, because it would have cut into the profit of 1 family. Good riddance to them. I am sure there will be growing pains at this new venue, lets hope the folks in Xenia are astute enough to keep making improvements to their fairgrounds, so that when Hamvention gets mentioned with the Hara arena in the same breath, it will be a very distant, bad memory. Economic stimulus shared by many in the area, can be a very strong catalyst, that can produce significant positive results for everyone involved in the convention.

W4IOA and KP4SX like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks fun and hope everyone enjoys it!

I want to hear about the guy selling new-condition SX-88s for $100 each, while they last.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

There was no PARKING nightmare.

There was a bad traffic backup coming in from US 35, west of Xenia. We sat in traffic and took about 90 minutes to go the last 2 miles. I've since learned from others that alternate routes in did not have this nightmare to deal with; tomorrow, we're going to park at the High School located north of Xenia and then take a shuttle bus in.

PARKING WAS FREE ON SITE. And there was PLENTY of it. I chose to park across the street from Gate 4 and give the local Scout troop a $5 donation, but that was my choice and I didn't have to.

And Pat? You were missed. A LOT of people wondering where you were. Your skills at teaching people how to solder were sorely missed.

Bottom line: It was GLORIOUS. It wasn't perfect, but if they solve the traffic issue, it will be about as close as you could expect on this planet Earth.

KV6O likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll try and get some pictures of the food trucks tomorrow.

Offhand, amongst the items available included:

Hamburgers
    Pizza
    Pork Chops
    Steak
    Chicken Sandwiches
    Chicken Salad Sandwiches
    Noodles with all sorts of options
    Ice cream (but no cheesecake on a stick)

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but there was one inside. The Luso ladies were there, but not in kimonos.

I have pictures, but they're on the camera, so I won't be able to upload until I get home.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

If I was there, I'd arrive about 2 hours early to get a good parking spot. That would probably beat most of the traffic. or maybe 3 hours. I would rather sit in a parking spot than in traffic. I'd rather drive city street through LA than the freeways!! Lotta stoplights, but atleast U are moving

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought Pat said he was staying home, not selling museum artifacts o_O:D

10. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a great time you had there Mr. Ron. TNX for the report. The food choices sure sound better then the choke and puke that was being served over for at the other place. Any food reviews of the local cuisine at the fairgrounds? Be looking forward to the pictures and your future comments/reviews, since you are at ground zero.

Great to support the local folks and economy, so more people prosper economic wise when Hamvention is in town, instead of just 1 family. Kudos to you for supporting the Scouts!