Any 6-meter or 222-band antenna's with the standard 3/8-24 thread?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Apr 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a 6-meter or 222-band lightweight mobile antenna available with standard 3/8-24 studded thread at the base of the mast?
    Thank you

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For 6m, a simple CB whip cut down to 54" long has a 3/8-24 stud base and works better than most other 6m mobile whips would. There are also 6m "Hamstick" type antennas sold by MFJ and others that have such a stud base as well.

For 222 MHz, the Hustler SF-222 is quite good and has a 3/8-24 stud base.

W0GSQ likes this.
  3. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The one I use on my pickup was purchased at a truck stop 12 or 13 years ago. It is base loaded with a 52 inch whip, I just removed the shrink tubing from around the loading coil and cut out all the turns and used part of the wire as a jumper from the threaded base to the whip mount on top of the insulated coil form, resonated right to 50.125mhz. Have worked lots of stations during the openings and it also works quite well local on the FM repeater freqs.

4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you will try, you can set up an antenna for 222 band by building an L matching network at the bottom of what ever whip you chose as long as there is no other matching network in place that would have to be removed.
    It would be a one band antenna because 222 is not a harmonic relationship to 6m, 2m 0r 70cm.
    Just as a side comment, I did accomplish 222 on an L network feed for 2m whip on an HT by finding the spot on the whip that allows a 222 match using a Linear load side element of approx. 1/4 wave length for 222.
    These things can be done if you apply enough effort and desire.
    Good luck.