antenna tuner for Kenwood TS-430S questions

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KM4PYS, Apr 5, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4PYS

KM4PYS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a fairly new Ham. I just purchased a TS-430S as my first HF radio. I'm looking for an antenna tuner for it.. Having trouble locating a 'working' AT-250 auto tuner for it.

Are there any aftermarket Tuners that work well with the TS-430S ?? for instance, will a LDG KT-100 work with this radio?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
    KM4PYS

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure the LDG will, as will several models from MFJ and others.

It would be interesting to know what kind of antenna or antennas you have that need a tuner. Sometimes you can save money and grief by simply using matched antennas, and not bother with any kind of tuner.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KM4PYS

I don't have an antenna yet.... won't have the radio until Wednesday or so and I am still in Alaska working right now.
    I am thinking of purchasing the Buckmaster OCF 7 band antenna... http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html
    I was told by a co-worker that it is a pretty good antenna.

Any suggestions?

4. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly I would purchase a manual tuner if you feel you need one. That is a pretty old rig. KIS (Keep It Simple)

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be, if you get it high enough above ground. Elevation (above ground) is what makes it work.:)

6. KM4PYS

It is an old rig, but the majority of the reviews say it is a fairly nice one for it's generation.... and that it is easy to work on.

I enjoy tinkering in electronics. Sooner or later want to build a radio from "scratch." However, as I am new to the hobby, it will be a bit before I am ready to tackle a project like that.
    I bought an OCF dipole, not the Buckmaster but similar and 100 ft. of coax. All of the stuff should be at home by the time I get back there.
    Will be nice to finally be able to get on the air. (I passed my Tech and General exam in December, 2015).

Jimmy

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those OCF antennas can be tricky, having higher than acceptable SWR on some bands and very little Reflected power on others. That depends a lot on how high you can install above ground.
    Here I am lucky to have found a property with enough room for several single band antennas. Each antenna is physically pruned and tuned for minimum SWR.
    I would much prefer a trap dipole for multiband use, if I had only room for one antenna. .

8. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

In theory, any antenna tuner that has a 50 ohm input should work; some better than others.

Avoid the automatic tuners -- nothing replaces knobs except high-priced engineering. And look for the better-built tuners, like Palstar, Nye Viking, or even some of the military surplus versions. And get something that will handle balanced feedlines -- because that's what you REALLY want and need for HF operation.

I've homebrewed several tuners, and found the "bestest for the leastest" is the classic L-match. One coil, one variable capacitor does it. Great for experimenting with random longwires, and by adding a balun, you can do balanced feedlines.

Gary WA7KKP

9. KM4PYS

Sorry it took so long to get back.
    Thanks for the replies. It gives me a lot to think about. So many variables with antennas and propagation, will be interesting to start experimenting.

Jimmy
    KM4PYS

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My main comment would be to get a tuner, auto or manual, that can be used with a modern transceiver as well. With a vintage radio, you don't know if it will last a week, a year, or another 10 years or more. Ultimately, you may have to replace the radio, so you should make sure any tuner can be used with all transceivers. I believe the AT-250 is limited to older model Kenwood transceivers, and might be difficult to use with newer equipment.