Antenna Discoveries in NY

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2PHD, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. W2PHD

W2PHD Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. Thanks for the spotting!

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The second antenna is not a Yagi. It is some sort of log-periodic.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Studios antenna appears to be a very old-fashioned AM BC TX antenna; those were not terribly effective because they were horizontally polarized. Vertical polarization works much better for producing a powerful ground wave signal. We had a few such stations here in L.A. until fairly recently.

The airport antenna appears to be a wide band LPDA, in which normally all elements are driven, and usually none are parasitic. The photos make it difficult to see how it's really fed, but usually they're "all" fed, with phase inversion every other element.

At the Studios, if it's still active, why not knock on the door and ask for the chief engineer...and ask him about the big antenna on the roof? I'd certainly do that, although I might get a parking ticket in the process. Probably worth it.

5. KA5S

KA5S Subscriber QRZ Page

Found the Steiner; its ex navy

LINK

Googled on "steiner studios antenna"

excerpt:
    More findings:

Now THAT'S cool!

Cortland
    KA5S

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Everytime I take the Roosevelt Island tram to the city, I see what appears to be a 6 or 10m, 3 element beam on top of a roof by the Queensborough bridge overpass and 62nd st.

7. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

The log periodic antenna is a a type which used to be commonly seen at U.S. Embassy complexes around the world. Don't think these are as ubiquitous as they used to be as I'm sure embassies have gone to scrambled satcomm stuff now.

Paul/W6VPS

8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna on top of the Steiner studio looks an awful lot like a cage dipole. The center structure is unusual.

Log periodics have disappeared from many military sites. Here our national guard armory used to have two of them, and they are now gone. As stated, most military high priority stuff has gone to satellite, but undersea cable as backup.

But there are a few. In Albuquerque there is still a very large log periodic at the FAA's Air Route Traffic Control center. Of course, aviation uses a lot of HF, and I doubt those LPs will go away anytime soon.

One place I was we had a vertical LP, for 3 to 30 mhz, with the long end on a 600 foot tower. A cable slanted down toward the ground, and other elements were along that cable. It was an extremely good antenna! It was not rotatable, of course. But we didn't need to rotate it. We also had a couple of the horizontal rotatable LPs. I think they were made by Collins, on 100 foot towers with probably 60 or 80 foot booms. Rotators were at ground level.

Also in Albuquerque, there is a cage dipole on top of the US Army Corps of Engineers building. Hard to tell how long it is, but it must be at least three feet in diameter, maybe 100 to 120 feet long.

Still a lot of military HF out there. Most of it today is data, very little voice or CW. A bit of RTTY, of course. And nearly all of it encrypted. But the military still uses HF SSB, as do maritime services and aviation communications. Lots to hear out there!

Ed

9. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree the NAH antenna at the Navy Yard looks like a type of cage dipole. I don't recall seeing another like it in my travels to various naval stations.

The other antenna is obviously a log periodic array.

Bill

10. W2PHD

W2PHD Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course it is I stand corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.