Antenna Design Software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by JOEDUB1421, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. JOEDUB1421

JOEDUB1421 QRZ Member

Seems like all the software that Google pops up is very old stuff. Are there any offerings made say within the past 5+ years lol?

Or it doesn't really matter as the theory is all the same?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to be specific about the exact software you are referring to.

1. I'm not aware of any general purpose antenna design software.
    2. Most design programs are specific to one particular antenna type, and only a few types have ever had dedicated programs.
    3. There are modeling programs such as EZNEC, MMANA, and a couple others, though they are not "antenna design" programs as such.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The engine is pretty much the same...either based on Lawrence Livermore NEC-2 or Mininec-3, which was the BASIC port. Nobody's improved on NEC-2, unless you count Nec-4, which is not readily available to hams. 4NEC2 is a wonderful program, and it's all I use now.

4. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just working up a model for a 6m delta loop the other day in 4nec2. No issues on my Win7 machine. Bit of a learning curve and I haven't attempted anything complex. But its meeting my needs for now. Its FREE. No paid upgrade to unlock features. I find that a lot of "rule of thumb" formulas are just that. Simulating and optimizing in 4nec2 before building gets me much closer to my target. Its been worth the time invested to learn the software and to build the models.

5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page