antenna ANALYZER mfj are RigExpert?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AK4BB, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AK4BB

AK4BB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

where are you thoughts ?
  2. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

i'm thinking you need to cut back on the drinking before posting. :D

i have a RigExpert AA-54 and really like it. it spanks anything that MFJ markets as an antenna analyzer (IMO). well worth the money if you want to understand how your antennas are behaving (not just looking for a low VSWR number, which is will do as well).
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two MFJ's. They were both 'semi-kits'. The hardware was loose on the first one and I had to recalibrate it. There was a bad solder joint on the coax connector of the second one, and it was difficult to fix it. Now both work fine.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the RigExpert 'low-end' model AA-30 last year and like it so much, thinking of getting the AA-230 this year.
  5. AK4BB

AK4BB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah thinking of getting aa-54
  6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

For the cost factor the MFJ works fine the only piece of MFJ equipment left in my shack and has worked great for the last 6 yrs. Everything else of there's was junk IMHO and sold off.
  7. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the AA-230 and it beats the MFJ product hands down. I'm not saying the MFJ is bad, it's just not as capable in my eyes. I like being able to do a frequency sweep and then see result graphically on the LCD. Or hook up the USB and do a real slow sweep and datalog the heck out of it.

I have not heard any complaints on the RigExpert analyzers. The MFJ-259b also appears to be the most popular but the reviews are riddled with quality control issues.
  8. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the AA-54 and love it. Like AC2EV said, being able to sweep the band and see the SWR graph is a big plus. I cannot imagine anyone regretting the purchase of a Rig Expert analyzer.

9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? No one else does. I thought it was a requirement.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.