Another rip-off artist is at it.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC0NIB, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

But that's not what's happening.

The scammers are targeting legit users who post the wanted ads.

2. K8MH

K8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

and IF the scammers cant see the want ads, they wouldnt be exploiting the victims.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. But they most likely ARE registered users.

That's how they get the email address of the 'victims'

My other post didn't say what I meant to say...

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Go to the main QRZ page
    2. Point at your call in the upper right corner
    3. Go down to "edit W7CJD" and click
    4. Click on "Update the basic callsign data (name, address, email, etc.)"
    5. Scroll down to the email entry and change it or add it.
    6. Scroll down and click "save"
    And your done

Hope that makes sense
    John, WB0MPB

W7CJD likes this.
  5. K8MH

K8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont think that most of the scammers are members here, I think that most likely ARE NOT registered users

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

How are they getting the email addresses of the victims?

Remember that a non-registered user can't see the email address on your bio page.

7. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

There may be a few actual registered ham users that are perpetrating scams, but if so that is a very small percentage of the overall problem. The vast majority of these scammers are not hams and not registered on QRZ, they harvest contact info from what people post that is publicly visible.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that non-ham users can see full ham user info such as emails.
    A while back in one of the discussion threads on this topic I suggested updating the classified rules to prohibit the posting of contact info in for sale and wanted posts, which would allow only registered QRZ ham users to contact the seller/buyer. I still believe this is a valid option that would drastically reduce the incidence of scams from outside QRZ.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    KA0HCP likes this.
  8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Both you and K8MH are right . . . The important thing to know is what you said in an earlier post, "Also... I firmly believe that we aren't dealing with just one scammer. From what I've been able to gather, there is an organized RING of thieves operating out of a foreign country. Picture a sweat shop with a whole bunch of computers and let your imagination go from there." That's absolutely correct. Usually the group's lead scammer has access to several QRZ accounts that are used to harvest emails and other information. That information, including the name and callsign of a ham without an email listed on his QRZ account, is then "sold" to the other scammers in the sweatshop.

WR2E likes this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

So if the organized ring of thieves can not see our email addresses on our bio pages, how is it that they are contacting their victims?

I agree that some make it easy for them by posting email address in public view, but not all do.

The criminals are getting them from somewhere.

If the ring doesn't have at least one registered user 'on staff' then how are they able to obtain the email addresses?

Are they hacking the qrz database? Maybe, but far less likely than if they have an open door by means of a registered account. (Even multiple accounts)

This is an organized crime ring at work. They have resources.

Sure, there are individual scammers, but a problem of this magnitude isn't coming from a handful of individuals.

10. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

It may well be that some of this is coming from inside, and that is indeed unfortunate and more difficult to resolve. But most of the time this happens after someone posts their email in the classifieds. Eliminating the outside factor would go a long way toward reducing the incidence of these scams.