ad: Alphaant-1

Another rip-off artist is at it.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC0NIB, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I put out a want for a Kenwood R-820 radio and almost immediately someone responded to that thread offering one up. Had I not checked the call sign out on QRZ, would have not known that the callsign at gmail was harvested by a thief.

KM4YTW is likely a legitimate Ham.

However KM4YTW@gmail.com IS NOT!!!

Unfortunately due to Googles system, it's not possible to go back and figure out the origins of this without a lot of work and effort which no one wants to do.

DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH KM4YTW@GMAIL.COM!!

2. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

KM4YTW is legitimate. KM4YTW@hotmail is not.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the gmail addy in the first post legit? or no?

Never mind... I see you put it on your QRZ page already.

so both the hotmail and the gmail addys are bogus then...

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But it can be fun to play along without paying anything.

In such situations, I ask, "Does it come with the original touchscreen display?" (or something it could not have possibly come with).

If they answer "yes," I might go on: "Is it the 5" model or the 7" model?":)

It's fun to goof on the scammers, and then at the end ask if they'd like to buy yours since you have two like that.:p

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please put your correct email on your QRZ page so this nonsense will stop. The scammers will continue to use derivatives of your name/callsign until you do.

NZ4X likes this.
  6. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe i dont want my email listed..but i will to help you guys

KJ4VTH likes this.
  7. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just create a separate email address only for use on your QRZ page, that way you don't have to use your main one if you'd prefer not to.
    Note however, that your profile email address is only visible to logged-in ham members and can't be seen by non-members. On the other hand, when you post a wanted thread or reply to a classified ad and put your email in the post, that CAN be seen by anyone on the internet and that is how the scammers are able to contact you.
    In the future, this can be avoided simply by NOT posting your email in the classifieds, and instead requesting contact be made either by QRZ private message or to your profile email. Neither of those means of contact will be available to non-ham scammers browsing the classifieds for easy marks.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the thing though... it's a good chance that the scammer has managed to create an account, thereby being able to see the email addresses.

By the way, the email address you use for your registration is not the same one that's shown on your bio page... it COULD be but it CAN be different.

So if you get a unique gmail address for use only here on QRZ, then you know someone grabbed if from your bio page.

Also... I firmly believe that we aren't dealing with just one scammer. From what I've been able to gather, there is an organized RING of thieves operating out of a foreign country. Picture a sweat shop with a whole bunch of computers and let your imagination go from there.

9. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

How do we change the email on our callsign lookup?

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or.....use the Zed PM functions. Only registered users can access it.

Of course this whole nonsense would be eliminated if the Zed would block the want ads from non-registered viewers. shrug.

K8MH likes this.