Another Clipperton L flip

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N5DMC, Jun 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5DMC

N5DMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a couple of pics starting with the fitment before any holes were drilled and after.....I'm using 2-56 stainless phillips head and tapping the thread into the steel chassis after drilling the aluminum screen, which were transfer marked with a fresh fine point sharpie. Then the starting drill is as small as I can fit into the smallest drill I have, then increased up to the tap drill size. I tap with the same drill, no tap handle required. Goes fast, but I do use a teflon compound crayon for lubrication. It's like a way that holds on to most of the shavings.

rear test fit.jpg initian rear install and screw.jpg

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice. :)

3. N5DMC

The final fitment shows a good radius on the front and back cover. New top cover screw locations are required, I went with 4-40 size screws to enjoy the most threads mainly due to the fact that I'm going into the blank steel chassis and have no backup spot welded nut plates like the originals had. cking the rear radius.jpg testfitfront.jpg

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. N5DMC

Many thanks Carl for that usefull information, counter wrapping the filament choke & the standing wire. Innovation for the dismissal of parasitics no doubt! Seems that you are also making the current street value of these go up as I Sir :)
    These are easy to improve. That is why I thought I'd toss this one a bone and I'm always looking for another to play with.

By the way, with the 2 speed fan blowing out the back, I simply can't hear the dang thing, and the cover never gets warm hardly at all.

Next:
    What to do with those now unused top cover holes???
    The finished product inside & out.
    More pics soon.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    AF6LJ likes this.
  5. N5DMC

Well finishing up with the Clipperton L flip,

Here is the Hammond 1 amp transformer mounted to the upper power transformer's 10-32 stud. There was enough exposed threads left, however damaged, were repaired simply by loosening the nut and running it out to the end thus reforming the very soft steel 10-32 transformer bolt. With the exposed 4 threads, 2 more were exposed by removing the flat washer. Then a 3/4 inch long standoff was installed and a socket head cap screw (SHCS) or Allen head is used to allow for tightening as everything is vert tight with wrench clearance and all. Here are two pictures..... transmtg1.jpg transmtg2.jpg

6. N5DMC

Here is what the spectrum looks like driven with an AM carrier (30 watts RMS) Some 45 db down in the grass are the harmonics. I should show what the SSB signal looks like ? This is 4Khz wide at 10Khz per cm hortz. 10db per cm vertical.

spect.jpg

AF6LJ likes this.