ad: ProAudio-1

Announcing the QRZ Logbook

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Main difference between "then" and "now" is that back then there was just one (or two) way(s) to QSL - the paper way.

Now, we unfold to 5 different options.
    (Direct, Buro, eQSL, LotW,QRZ)

It is quite easy to have two operators that their QSL ways do not overlap, even if each and every one has two different ways of QSLing and they both include electronic QSL!

I believe that the standard QRZ.com has to set must be really high.
    Given the power and influence QRZ has over hams all over the world, it is really a time to create a standard to unify all electronic QSLing under one, single, standard, and why not, create a QSLing electronic "grid" like bureaus in regular paper QSL to ensure that contacts uploaded to one operator CAN and WILL be verified by the other two.

It is the time for electronic QSLing to mature.

or the winner takes it all.

build it well and the winner is obvious.

(pse help me CQ again).

2. W3LI

W3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Log

Paper and pencil always work.

3. VE3IFS

VE3IFS Ham Member QRZ Page

LoTW is gasping for air? Where in the world do you get that from? It is the most efficient and comprehensive system around. Since so many go for their DXCC, WAC, etc., awards and the ARRL sponsors them, why would anyone not use the system? It is free, easy to use and instantaneous. The interface is simple and the support is outstanding. If you want to use another system, feel free, of course. But don't say ridiculous things like it is 'gasping for air.'

4. KA9JAC

KA9JAC Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

eQSL & LOTW

I have also received notification of QSL cards in eQSL from hams that I did not have a QSO with. But when I researched those QSL cards each and every one turned out to be innocent callsign entry typo's. If I ever receive a true bogus QSL card I simply will delete it. eQSL is a secure method of exchanging QSL cards.

The same thing has occured with me in LOTW. However I was the dummy submitting QSL cards with erroneous data. Unfortunately in LOTW you can't delete those errors.

With today's printer/ink technology I could easily produce 100 bogus QSL cards for DXCC, etc.

The bottom line is that nothing is totally secure and error proof.

6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred it sound like a great idea all I prefer to use is electronic logs and awards programs LoTW mainly but do use eQSL for others just because my logging program supports automated uploads to them Logic8 a great logging program.

Just wonder if you have talked to Dennis about a direct link to your log from his with a upgrade? I plan on using it how ever it goes you must have done a great deal of work on it.

I do use hard cards for rare contacts (always want to up country count) and when I receive one I do return one asap but just to have the card for the checker. These are the only ones that are kept or requested just having a bunch of cards is not appealing to me.

One of the nice points in my logger is that it does show if they are a LoTW user as soon as the call is entered helps to decide which call to go to first if I need country first then the others.

Hard cards are fine but slowly becoming a thing of the past with new computerized most all digital modes use LoTW and more members are coming on line there every day. I download the database each week to keep up to date. I am finding more older hams entering logs that back into the 50's what a job that must be.

Fred I am proud to be a supporter of QRZ and things like this tells me all the time it is a good decision.

THANKS

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The beginning of this article is a simplified explanation, you really need some basic (not BASIC) programing background to understand what a danger this is and how easy it can be to carryout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If there was a requirement to keep a log I would keep a paper log as my master (the large print version) and a computer log as my short term (while I am operating) log.

As a civilization we are moving away from paper as a storage medium. The only constant is change, someone once said.

Right now I am of two minds in regards to posting log information to the internet using any service. And I am not convinced that going to the cloud is such a good idea from both a control and a security standpoint.

I'm going to wait and see.......

Good luck Fried Everything you have done with QRZ has been with forethought, and careful consideration.
    That fruits of which are apparent. :)

9. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ Logbook

Good morning to all - I have read through this entire thread and enjoyed all the comments and information for in favor of and those who are not so sure. ;) It is a wonderful discussion and I am glad Fred is participating because he is passionate about the service he provides and that his 'quality' is top notch. So, I am sure when this program is ready to go it will be a good success and anyone who has an issue with using it can rely on good support from Fred's support team. QRZ is definitely work supporting with regular subscriptions.

WIth all that said, I look at a QSL for contact done on-line by any of the services as a bonus item that stores my records rather securely. It's still my responsibility to verify their accuracy which I do from time to time and have found one or two only that were, as another person stated, simply typo's of my call sign. I have five logbooks that I started and stopped using over the years and they're tucked away in a file cabinet. :)

Having said all this, I am a big proponent of the paper QSL card, especially those nice DX cards from places I will never visit in person. I view these as the little "trophies" for some of my hobby accomplishments. I can point them out to a visitor to my shack and say, "here is a place I contacted back on that date from my little station"....

I mail my cards in an envelope so they don't get messed up in the postal system. When a card is mailed as a post card from a foreign country, that is probably the best way to confirm a QSO there ever will be since it will have that countries postage stamp attached and a cancellation 'stamp' over it which is like a "seal of authenticity" and nearly impossible to falsify. If the postal services around the world didn't destroy cards, that would be even better but, they do. If I really want a QSL card from some rare DX station, I will comply with their request and send one or two green stamps. I don't have to have a card from everyone I have a contact with....

If someone is desperate enough to fake contacts for the purpose of obtaining an award then, they are simply a liar. Their indulgence in doing so then makes the rest of their life a lie since doing it for such a small item makes it even easier to do it for a big one and the bigger the lie, the easier it is to get caught, like with the IRS....

Enough said on this subject. Go Fred! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Now this gives me a reason to get my PSK31 station back on-line and convert some of my current log entries to HRD. :) Now, I need to be sure I can get a couple of bills paid off so I can renew my own subscription. :D

10. NQ6U

NQ6U Ham Member QRZ Page

<p>Hey, that sounds just like a description of <i>my</i> life! Well, except for the part about someone else's money...</p>

11. N5VWN

N5VWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it valid enough?

My concern is will it be valid enough. And easy enough. This is where ARRL, if not dropping the ball, certainly fumbled it. Making software that was clunky and much harder to use than a bank account. Instead of scrapping the program, addmitting thier mistake, and starting over, they choose to use something harder than MOST people are willing to put up with. I tried because ARRL sets the standard for the most credible awards that poeple want.
    What I'm worried about here is the same problem that eqsl has. Although easy to use, it's not used by enough people to matter. But who knows. If its easy to use, and mostly free, might be worth a try. They should adjust that $30 price to maybe $5. That's something I would pay and they would still become millionaires because more people would be willing to pay world wide. If everybody gets on-board, then you got something. Lower your premium prices, then you got a chance. Get greedy and suffer the concequences. $30 may no seem like a lot. They need to consider we might have other hobbies and bills to pay as well. Those extra dollars could be the ton of bricks that breaks the camel's back. I do like the idea of logging in any nearby computer and putting my latest contacts in. But cheers and good luck anyways.

12. WA6SCW

WA6SCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Will the New QRZ Logbook Fix the Snowbird Problem?

Fred:
    I understand that the new logbook will be integrated with the QRZ database and the HRD logbook. However, the existing QRZ database still has the limitation that it only shows the FCC address of record, and cannot be edited to show alternate operating locations. For example, when I operate from my winter home in Arizona, users of the QRZ database are shown an incorrect location at my permanent address in Washington.

LOtW has solved this problem by allowing the user to specify the operating location when QSOs are logged and uploaded.

Thanks and 73 de Pat / WA6SCW (now operating from Tuolumne County, California)

13. K4HB

K4HB Ham Member QRZ Page

14. GI7OMY

GI7OMY Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the problem in manually filling in the data for the other guy?

It happens quite often when I work a /P or a /MM that I have to alter the details from qrz to match what I get on screen. The only time that would cause concern is if someone is 'faking' a contact

I would also agree with the guy from Crete (and I do have a SV9/G0 in my log) - there are only a handful of GI7 callsigns left these days and I'm about the only one of them active in digital modes so I'm the target for prefix collectors (and there aren't more than 10 GI stations overall in digi mode either) and I do end up on the receiving end of pileups. I'm retired and I simply can't afford to keep sending paper qsls and, anyway, I don't collect them (read my page for the reason). So long as I have the entry in my log, THAT's the important thing. If you want a qsl from me, then you will get an electronic one - no other way

73 de Daithi GI7OMY

15. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Daithi,

Thought I recognized your call! 2/24/2010 40m PSK--and a fine signal you had that night! And even a real QSO instead of a 599 exchange...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.