ad: MLSons-1

Announcing the QRZ Logbook

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRZ LOGBOOK-AWARDS

Hello Fred,

Excellent idea,I like it ,hope it works well.

AS FOR e QSL -THATS A REAL JOKE-OUT OF 431 QSOs there
    I only Made 121 of them........ Go figure-there awards are good
    for the OUTHOUSE !!!:(

2. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree the cost is expensive when sending out many QSL's, but so is ham radio in general and I have shouldered the cost, I still get many cards via the Bureau or direct, the old fashioned way as it is known. I prefer to say the usual or historical way.

Something has been lost that will never be regained and that is the final courtesy of a card from a distant land with a stamp on it you never saw before and cards that you cannot show your children, friends or grandchildren except on your 500 gig super speed hard drive on a sony digital flat panel LCD screen. All that equipment eventually bound to fail. Paper cards yellow but don't fail and empty shoe boxes make wonderful storage containers.

The way QSL'ing is going via digital, makes it is so sanitized, sterlized, impersonal and cold. Filed away in some virtual world in a digital folder on a hard disk.

But, that's just my opinion.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  3. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

can I send you a QSL for DXCC??? :D :D :D

what do you mean no QSO? we are talking here, right? I am going to use current time for timestamp and my IP for frequency.... :rolleyes:

as far as I am concerned, all awards are for the outhouse.

4. UA6JD

UA6JD Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CSS style in .../ddb

In CSS style we had "#csbody - This selector underlies the entire area of callsign listing including the callsign data and the biography area."
    Now with www.qrz.com/ddb background property (image and color) in csbody works only in calldata area and not in biodata .
    It is bug or normal ?

5. AD5XJ

AD5XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I too like the idea. If adif upload is included it may have a chance of surviving. By all means keep the non-computer literate user in mind. Us computer guys sometimes overlook that.

6. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work Fred.
    Thank you.

7. KE6MZV

KE6MZV Ham Member QRZ Page

In my much younger days I was a musician and I've been a machinist for almost 25 years. Both of these careers have seen drastic technological changes. There are those that still record with 2" tape and others that machine with non-CNC equipment. If a person really likes where they're at, that's great. But please don't look down your nose at those that do things differently (whether old school or new wave).

8. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this require a proprietary version of MS windows to function or will it interface with any modern Internet browser?

Just wondering .... 73, doc KD4E

9. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

It works with all modern browsers, any operating system.

The main component is Javascript, which thankfully is now universal.

-fred

10. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Excuse me!

I don't feel there is a case at all here.

Is there sth. wrong with keeping a paper log near the radio, then transcribing it to some adif for uploading to any web log? I like doing both! as I transcribe, I recall all details of the QSO and this helps me be a better op in the end.

Also, no matter what will ever happen, I still have my logs! Either on paper or on some remote hard drive, I do have them!

Fun part is, I am an computer technician and I log onto paper!!! this means something about computers, doesn't it?

11. K9AAN

K9AAN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IF, out of 431 "QSOs" you made only 121 of them, you haven't been doing your part. At eQSL, you are supposed to REJECT those you haven't really made. So the blame is with you not with eQSL.

When I held a technician class, I received about 20 or 25 QSL cards from Eastern Europe on 20 meters SSB through the bureau and direct! I did not make those QSOs I did NOT send them my QSLs. [ It turns out that they confused my call, K9AAN with another call UK9AAN. I eventually ran into UK9AAN and we had several nice QSOs.]

On eQSL, I still do get reports of QSOs I didn't make and I do reject them and do not accept them. Unfortunately, there is no way to reject fraudulent QSO reports on LoTW.

And, finally, there is NO way to be 100% perfect. There will always be those that want to do it the easy way instead of the proper way for anything. That's why I always check my credit card and my health care bills.

12. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am glad to hear of another electronic QSL program. eQSL uses ADIF files for uploads. Will this QRZ log system also enable us to upload ADIF files to input the data?

13. N5VEI

N5VEI Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ logs

Well I have been a ham since 1991 and had a great Elmer/ mentor W5AA. He is a SK now, but taught me a lot. He had cabinets full of QSLs that I just marveled over. I still have my first HF QSL card in my book that I keep. Later on I got in on the digital communications when PSK really got started in the mainstream... Even though I am not a pioneer... I feel like it. Along came the computer integration, then LOTW. Man I hate those hoops, BUT it is secure or more secure than others. I was into EQSL when it first started, but have never asked for one of their awards. Reason being... it is my choice. I know they have some security problems, but I still upload. I have to view both the ARRL and EQSL as another way to get on the air, to get moving, to save our hobby. Now comes along QRZ... I love the idea. It gives me even more ways to get into the hobby. I teach history and have a view that most people do not. Technology changes everything. It changes the way we look at how history has been advanced, the way we keep our history, and the way people try to rewrite our history (which is wrong). So knowing how old guys, middle aged guys, young guys, kids, and new people... here goes.... If it works for you go with it, if not turn the dang channels and stop polluting the airwaves, blogs, and forums with the poison that will turn people away from our great hobby. You can fight change all you want, but you have the choice as does the rest of the world... Use what we have or we will loose the hobby in the USA! I am for it and hope that I can just upload the log. I do not mind security... security is good, but make it user friendly.
    Good luck all... enjoy it
    Bill Richardson
    N5VEI
    KC5NXD Club Sponsor

14. N5ARK

N5ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The price of stamps now days is why. The cards are for you own satisfaction anyway. I don't care to spend tons of money on stamps since I am not a card collector. However, I will confirm a contact on eQSL, LOTW or QRZ. For those that like to have proof of their contacts then I see nothing wrong with this avenue at all. It saves each of you money and greatly increases the chance of getting confirmation for those of you that want or need it.

As far as their site being a joke. I don't think so at all. I use HRD and as soon as I put someone in my log it send the Eqsl and if the other station wants a card it is as simple as pressing confirm and checking to see. If you did not make the contact just simply hit NO. Simple as that. Like another poster said it is much easier than all the crap with keys you have to go through with LOTW.

Yes there are security issues but it is not your banking account! Some that say that is is easy to falsify a card. Well the same is true with a paper card. Ever heard of a scanner and a printer. If someone wants to fake a contact it is as simple as that. It is your honesty that counts...not the card. Afterall who are you cheating?

If you don't like using electronic cards...then by all means DON'T!!! But if you expect a card back provide a SASE. Simple as that. With stamps being the price they are today and especially overseas how can you expect someone to fund your card collecting?

I for one enjoy the ragchewing instead of 599...599...can you repeat...599

It is a Hobby people. It is not like you are collecting the cards for promotion or finacial gain.

15. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree with you, Troy.

As for the comments about the eQSL site being a joke, it's designed by a ham and hams aren't always great web designers. Look at most of the ham home pages out there. Good web design costs money, and who is going to pay for it? But eQSL works and allows people to exchange QSLs without spending a lot of money that they'd rather spend on radio equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.