ad: ProAudio-1

Angelo Diamantoni W8ERN -SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by WB8IIA, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I first met Angelo on night on simplex FM. After that first QSO, I always looked forward to the next one. He always had time to chat with you!

2. W8PRO

W8PRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just having received my license, still in college and living at home. This was about 13 years ago. I remember one morning experimenting with an old Solarcon vertical, strapped to the chimney at my parents house. I was frantically calling CQ trying to reach DX on 17 meters. After about an hour of several failed attempts, I had my finger on the power switch when I get this BOOMING signal come across. It was Angelo, W8ERN calling back to my awkward call out. He gave me a big report of 20+! Thinking that my old CB antenna really worked well on this band, I looked up his call sign and realized that he only lived right around the block from me. We talked for about 45 min, during that time numerous other stations (including DX) chimed in. Because of Angelo I was able to start out my logbook with some really nice contacts. For the next year or so still living at home, I was able to QSO with him a bunch of other times. After college I moved out and left the hobby until a few years ago.

I will always remember this first QSO I had with Angelo. Being new to Ham Radio, I felt a bit intimidated speaking to experienced operators. When you talked to him on the radio, despite him having the ability to talk to ANY station he wanted, he seeked out and valued your QSO just as much as you did. He was a highly respected ambassador for Ham Radio, and a great person.

K2HAT likes this.