ad: hrd-2

.....and on the bike path

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Apr 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I didn't plan on going here....but someone asked if I knew how to put tire sealant in a tube that had Presta valves...sort of a tricky, specialized skill, I guess. I'd just finished doing the same to my own bike, in preparation for an early spring...and somehow word got out that I'm an expert bike fixer upper. Actually, I do have lots of experience twiddling with bikes of all sorts, but never thought I could make a dime doing it. Well, I guess I can.
    Anyway...if you're in North Pole, and you need your bike tuned up, stop by. I can always add one more skill now that I'm sorta sposta be retired. Yeah right.

By the way....the FAT BIKE was invented and developed right here in Fairbanks. I'm not the sorta fella that likes riding bikes at 50 below, but a dedicated bunch of local fatbike aficionados actually do this.

I'm trying next to figure out how to operate 2200 meters bicycle mobile. STay tuned.

2. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tire sealant in a presta-valve tube... heresy!!!

3. KL7AJ

Theoretically, that should be true. HOWEVER, with 100+ psi tires, they leak like a sieve without the sealant. Even LGG...the MANUFACTURER of these tubes, recommends "sliming" them!

I"m learning too.

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

The alternative is ... buy the tires already pre-slimed ... I took out my +2 inch tired trail bike yesterday doing a 'noise' survey a couple miles out to the east ...

5. KL7AJ

Yes, those are becoming more common. Maybe I could be a professional, pre-slimer. :)

6. KL7AJ

7. KL7AJ

On another related note....gear indexing.

I've had a LOT of derailleur bikes in my life...but only my current one has "indexed" gear shifting. I was always skeptical of these....I wondered if you could keep the tolerances tight enough to rely on indexing....on a 5 gear cluster...not to mention a TEN gear cluster....always considered it sort of a gimmick. However, my newfangled 20 speed indexed shifter has NEVER gotten out of calibration...never missed a beat. I am duly impressed.

(p.s......spent quite a few years out of the new bike loop, so wasn't aware of the evolution of the technology. Sort of a Rip Van Winkle experience. Again, I'm impressed)

8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Cannondale Synapse Carbon with 10-speed Tiagra rear derailleur with (IIRC) 12/30 cassette and Tiagra Triple front derailleur with 28T granny ring... old man's bike, but great on hills. Usually run 700c 23 tires @ 105 psi front and 110psi rear. Haven't ridden since I got back on the air... gaining weight... need to ride! No QRM with indexed shifters. No goatheads here, but heat, humidity, and mosquitoes make up for that.

9. KL7AJ

I used to never use anything but center-pull caliper brakes...they just seemed more "complete" than side pulls. But my Novara has side pulls, and they're just fine.