And in the woods.....

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Roses are red
    Vi'lets are purple
    Sugar is sweet
    And so's Birch Syrple....sort of

Well, we have all kinds of big birch trees on our property, and Callen Troy Christensen wondered if he could tap our trees to make birch syrup. So I said, why not? They aren't doing much else except standing there in a very birch-like manner. So be on the lookout for AlasKit Educational and Scientific Resources and Birch Syrup in the near future. Or far future. I don't know how long it takes for a birch tree to make syrup. I'm leaving that to the experts. Let the syrup bleed out and the cash flow in. [​IMG]:)

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You could corner the market on aspirin up there with all that birch bark.:D

3. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Great thread and post.

My family made a lot of maple syrup into the late 1950s. Smaller amounts are still made on the family farms today by a few cousins.

I do remember my family making a batch of birch syrup one season back in the 1950s. Most of the cooking/processing was done at our farm by my mother and all of her sister's-in-law. My mother never really forgave my dad and his six brothers for their birch syrup experiment.

She said it ruined our copper evaporators, finishing, and back pans She said every thing tasted like it had been cooked in a galvanized pail.

I guess I'm as crazy as I am today because I believe all of our copper-ware was sealed at the seams with lead solder.

4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh boy...Birch Beer!
    Good stuff