Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KG4KWW, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
  1. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

I just had a qso with KC4AAA The AMUNDSEN-SCOTT SOUTH POLE STATION, on 14.243 and I did it with a 100 watts and a Carolina Windom. No amp used here and oh what a feeling. This made my Christmas really feel like Christmas.

For a long time, I couldn't get through the pileups and I finally did it.

Merry Christmas to all at the AMUNDSEN-SCOTT SOUTH POLE STATION.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations. Working a new one is always exciting and especially nice when you can do it low power and w/o a big yagi at 100 ft. Merry Christmas
  3. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

Does anyone know of any North Pole Stations ??
  4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

No permanent North Pole stations. Remember, the North Pole is just ice whereas the South Pole is located on land.

Also, years ago the South Pole station was KC4USA. KC4USB was at the Marie Byrd Land location and I worked KC4USB as a Novice Class operator on 15 meter CW in 1959.

Glen, K9STH
  5. KC0MS

KC0MS Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on your FB contact!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Greg, That's a good'n!
    ...and BTW Merry Christmas from Glen Allen.
  7. KJ5T

KJ5T Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Greg

Just a couple of weeks ago I worked them for the first time, running 100watts into an A3S at 40ft. The thing is that the rotor is down for repairs and so I worked them off the back of the beam.

Great signal into Texas.

I missed the 3Y0X station though, back then I only had a 4BTV and couldn't even hear them.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a pretty good chance that you actually worked them "long path" instead of off the back.

Glen, K9STH
  9. KJ5T

KJ5T Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that does make more sense.. It was a nice feeling though to work them. I couldn't even hear them on the G5RV.
  10. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

I'm looking forward to getting a QSL card for my collection.

Glen when did the SP Call Sign Change?
  11. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

N7LV calls from North Pole....Alaska that is. Heard him the other day on RTTY. :D
  12. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard KC4AAA last week. And the big-signal callers in the pile.

But I worked VK0BP, Bob, at Davis Station last night on 20m., with 100W and an inverted V at 18 ft ;)
  13. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a QSL from KC4USN, Geographical South Pole, Antarctica, dated December 12, 1959, made out to KN7KBN. This was the 17th QSO I ever made. 15 meter CW, 21.153 Mcs., if the inscription on the crystal was correct (7051 tripled to a pair of 807s).

This card was hand delivered by the guy who was actually down on the ice, and who lived in Las Vegas NV. He was a Navy RM2 at the time, and when he came home on leave after wintering over he brought the card directly to me. It's a keeper. This is what the card looks like - the very first one, with the penguin wearing the "cans".
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  14. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

Thanks for the web site link, I enjoyed looking at the QSL cards from years gone by.
  15. KB7GL

KB7GL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting those, Pat. It's really an interesting collection, and some significant history.
  16. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still a chance to catch OH9SCL in Santa Claus Land, right up in the arctic circle.
  17. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

I would love to visit the South Pole and see the KC4AAA station.
  18. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, you certainly have more "persistence" than I do. Working a DX SSB station today with 100 watts and a dipole type antenna is a big achievement, given the big gun 1 kW+ beam competition! :rolleyes:

19. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

See your Navy recruiter. He can fix you right up!
  20. AC0IV

AC0IV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The closest stations to the north pole would be the Canadian listening post at ALERT (NUNAVUT). The next closest would be at Thule Air Base in Greenland. OX3MC operates in Greenland regularly. By the way I was a contractor at Thule Air Base for 4 years and have traveled to Alert! My OX call was OX3UR.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.