ad: NI4L-2

Amps in arrl handbook

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FWD, Jan 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N8FWD

N8FWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    Can anyone tell me what hf amp projects were in the past 15 years of the arrl handbook
    Thanks mike N8FWD

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. AC8AC

AC8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot think of any . is there anything your looking for in particular

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

2013 Handbook:

250 W amplifier (requires less than 10 watts of drive) for 160-6. SS, uses two VRF151s

1500 W amplifier (grid driven, requires about 75 watts drive) for 160-10. Tube, using a single Eimac 3CX1500D7

2017 Handbook:

Same projects as above. There is also an "Everyham's Amplifier" project, which is more of a "how to design an amp based on parts you have" thing.

AF6LJ and KJ4VTH like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only buy a new Handbook about every five years, but have several accumulated over a long time.

If you're looking for a solid state amp design, those have been popular in the Handbook for the past 15 years; but if you're looking for a "variety" of vacuum tube designs from fairly low power (6146) to legal limit (8877 etc.), there's a lot more of those in much older Handbooks, from the 50s (pre-8877 days, but they have 4-1000As and stuff), the 60s (when many of the modern ceramic-metal power triodes were introduced) and 70s (more modern tube designs). The Handbooks from the 40s include amp designs using older tubes (807s, 811As, 813s, etc) which are kinda fun if you happen to like old tubes -- and better if you already have some.

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. N8FWD

N8FWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to build an 8877 or dual 3-500 I want to use a full wave bride power supply

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A full wave bride might upset your wife if you're married.:)

Amps like that are described in detail in the Radio Handbook by Orr, W6SAI, all of them published in the 60s and 70s. If you don't have one, they're easy to find on Amazon, and many libraries have them as well.

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Start with a good transformer. You could do worse than the xfmr used in the Ameritron AL82/AL1500, pn 404-1418-1D (2570VAC @ 800mA).

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Mike. Home brewing is not only fun but satisfying in the sense that you have accomplished something...and it works!

A few things to consider:

1. What test instruments do you have? (1kW dummy load, multiple DMMS, power meters, oscilloscopes).

2. What mechanical eqpt. do you have in drilling and punching sheet metal?

3. Have you built anything electronic?

4. What familiarity do you have with HV and safety precautions?

5. How is your patience quotient?

Phil

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    AF6LJ likes this.
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

and 6...How deep are your pockets!
    I think it is very cool to build your own amplifier but if someone does not own or have access to the necessary test gear and mechanical equipment, the costs can go pretty sky high.

AF6LJ and N2EY like this.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

MH:

Add a well stocked "junque" box into the cost equation as well!

Glen, K9STH

AF6LJ likes this.