Ameritron Amplifier meter lamps

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KA2VZX, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA2VZX

KA2VZX Ham Member

The meter lamps in some Ameritron amplifiers blow out quite often, I decided to install some LEDs insted. It works out pretty good using Radio shack P/N 276-0017 ,5mm 7000mcd LEDs. It looks a lot better than the original bulbs ,and hopefully will last longer.

2. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member

Are they any brighter? Just curious....i traded for a new AL-82 and was thinking sooner or later i'd have to replace those meter lights.

Thanks, John WR8D;)

3. KQ9J

KQ9J Subscriber

I did the same thing with my AL-811H. Replaced the lamps with some nice blue LEDs. Looks pretty cool. IIRC I added a small resistor in series.

4. VA3THC

VA3THC Ham Member

Dentron Ditto

Have the parts for the same mod on my Dentron Amp and matching tuner glad to know somebody else tried and is happy with the results.

5. KA2VZX

KA2VZX Ham Member

LEDS in AL-811

Yes they are much brighter and they look great .[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. KA2VZX

KA2VZX Ham Member

7. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member

Thanks for the reply and the pic here onsite. I'll pick me up a couple of those tomorrow and change mine over this weekend..."hopefully" Hi Hi.

73 John WR8D:D

8. KA2VZX

KA2VZX Ham Member

AL-811

You will also need a 270ohm 1/4 watt resistor on the ground side of the LED 12 volt feed.

KA2VZX

9. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

Thanks Guys for the help here I was just going to post a thread and ask about this. It pays to search.

Any idea what the model # is for the blue LEDs is.

After all MFJ wants $13.80 ea. shipped. I feel better about 3 bucks for both and they should last forever.

Thaks again
    RON

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  10. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

Huge difference. Like having halogen headlights. Great look compared to the dirty yellow look of the stock bulbs.

I had to file the lip of the diode just a hair to get it to fit in the meter housing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.