Ameritron Amplifier Advice

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE2GCE, Mar 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Ford is using aluminum on them all now. The 2018 f550 has an aluminum cab.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Something to be said for that, for sure.

I was amazed to see the high-impact "crunch" tests of the little Mercedes Smart Car, which is a little lightweight thing that by observation looks like its occupants would be crushed in any kind of impact; but it did fantastically well -- the car is destroyed, and the "occupants" (crash test dummies of similar size and weight to people) sustained no damage at all, and if they were human, would have walked away.

A crazy guy (maybe drunk, too) crashed his Ferrari Enzo (? -- something like that, I'd have to go back and look it up) in Malibu on Pacific Coast Highway a few years back at what the police forensics experts estimated to be a speed of close to 200 mph and literally did walk away from it. Pieces of the car were everywhere, some found blocks away. Car's value depreciated from around $200K to $0 all in one second. But they found the driver uninjured and conscious close to the wreck.

Amazing what they can do with lightweight materials!

However, in a pickup truck you not only want to survive a crash, but also carry its rated load without damage to the bed or other stuff, and that load may be "dumped" in very fast, like picking up a cubic yard of premix (dry) concrete materials from a cement yard, where they load it with a big "scoop" that dumps it all at once. BOOM.:p

I had a couple of guys bring me more than two yards of dry mix concrete (portland, sand, gravel) and they were going to attempt that in one guy's pickup. I told them, "No." They had a friend with a real dump truck, and I saw that and said, "Yes." The two scoops of mix would have destroyed most pickups, but the dump truck handled it fine. That dump truck looked like it was 30+ years old, but was a real dump truck, so emptying it out took only a minute or two.

"The right tools for the job...":)

3. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The f150 aluminum beds are actually extremely durable. For the competitor commercial showing a dent they had to dump many loads of very carefully placed blocks specifically rigged to fall on a corner over and over to get one to cause any damage. I hear they also damaged their own product when filming. The aluminum is a good thing... not a bad thing....

4. VK8HLF

VK8HLF Ham Member QRZ Page

ive been running the drake L4B for years with the 2 x 3/500 tubes great amp,, and the AL80B as my back up another good amp easy to tune very forgiving, but as with any amp especially in hot places like where i live just keep a good air flow through and give them a good cool down period after use they will last for years

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Al80B. Oh. there's nothing wrong with the 811H, but you don't want to push it to 800 watts. 600 - 650 or so, which is enough for many of us. :)

6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly right 600-650 watts PEP out or 500 watts CW out.

W4NNF likes this.
  7. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, I know which amp to buy and which pickup truck as well. :)

K7MH and KA9JLM like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Make the most of it by using the pickup truck to bring the amp home.

K7MH likes this.
  9. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suggest the AL-80B. Only one tube which is still commercially used so will be fairly common. Not so the 811's. I'd also recommend not running the snot out of them!

10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Chinese 3-500Z is a proven good tube. Under $200.