ad: w5yi

Ameritron Amplifier Advice

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE2GCE, Mar 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1NK

W1NK Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, or, or...

You ship it to your office, bring it home at lunch time, and replace your existing amp which you hide in plain sight amidst your son's school projects that are liberally scattered around your shack. Not that I ever did that (with an AL-80B) 2-3 years ago! :D

Frank, W1NK

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that just blew it.

The F150 is not a real work truck. o_O But they are good for driving to work.

KC9YGN and AD5HR like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll differ with that a bit. My F 150 has hauled a lot of stuff in the bed and has pulled trailers ranging from light utility to 4 horse stock trailers. And it has gotten me through a lot of mountains on nothing more than forest service roads--and calling some of them roads is an exaggeration. And some years ago a previous F 150 of mine was used to evacuate a seriously injured hiker from the back country on a "road" no other vehicle available would even attempt to drive on. My current F 150 is used on SAR call outs in the back country. Mine is "upgraded" but only with very heavy duty 10 ply tires with pretty aggressive treads. And the multiple 2 way radios on board were easy to install

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

OK. 10 ply tires should have you bouncing down the road nicely.

The one that I own is Fix Or Repair Daily. Only 200 k miles and 20 years old, And needs work already. :D

Hauling plywood can make me pop wheelies. That is way cool, If I can control steering.

The 250 is a real work truck, If it is not made from aluminum recycled beer cans, Like the F150 is now.

5. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep--I had a 250 and sorry I got rid of it. My 150 is a 2007 with only 80K original miles and in mint condition. Not reconstituted beer cans like the ones today. I would not buy a new 150 FWIW

6. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I agree AL80B.

The others run 4 tubes and the 811A tubes are running to the max of their abilitty, and good 811A tubes are rare.
    The 572B tubes in the other AL811 amp are not ran to max limit, but good 572B tubes are even more rare.
    4 tubes means 4 chances of troubles, 1 tube only one chance of troubles.

I run an AL572B for 12 years now but I was lucky to be without big troubles, but I had to replace the 4 x 572B tubes once.
    Back then a AL572B was a cheaper as a AL80B here in Europe, and the 572B tubes were cheap and easy to buy, now they are expensive and hard to find, and the price of an AL80B came down and the price of an AL572B went up here.
    And I do not use my AL572B often, on average only once a week or so for an hour.

My friend runs a Heatkit SB220 with 2 x 3-500 for over 40 yrs. now still using the original 3-500 tubes that are still as good as they were new.

73 Jos

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are the new F-150s really aluminum?

I had an F-450 as the vehicle for my motor home (it came with that, not my decision) with a V-10 and boy was it powerful and reliable. In the motor home it got great gas mileage going down long steep grades...:p

Going up those, not so much. It had a 50 gallon tank (I think) and when the gas prices spiked in June 2008 we took a family trip to the Grand Canyon. Very bad timing, gasoline was $4.90/gallon so it cost almost $250 to fill 'er up. The mileage computer readout indicated 5 mpg going up grades.:( But going down them was nice...:)

That 900-mile or so round-trip used about $450 in gasoline. But I must say, the thing was a brute.

8. KA9JLM

Yes.

They crunch like a beer can in a bad wreck too.

9. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is exactly what you WANT a vehicle to do in a wreck... it absorbs the impact so your body does not.

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Al80B much more heavy duty vs an AL811H. Four 572B in a AL811H is a waste. The three 572B in the AL-811 is a better deal as both amps have same the power. Both amps will output the same wattage with three or four 572B. Three tubes do not need neutralization like four tubes.