Ameritron Amplifier Advice

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE2GCE, Mar 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

True.

That does make it a bit harder to sneak in the backdoor so your wife don't know.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy-peasy.

Walk in backwards so she thinks you're carrying it out.

-or-

Walk in carrying it with a big smile, and say, "Honey, you can't believe what someone was throwing away!":)

KD0CAC, KA9JLM and W1TRY like this.
  3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an Al80b from DX ENG. back in November as an early
    Santa present to myself.
    Build quality good, no loose hardware or cold solder joints.

Good bang for the buck. Tunes easy. Like the PEP meter, checks accurate.
    Quiet fan.
    Handles my long winded rag chews at full power without breaking a sweat.

Thinking about buying another for my fishing cabin.

4. WB2WIK

I hope you do, and catch French station F1SHY on the bands...:p

WG8Z likes this.
  5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

80B, easy peasy. No argument and quite a few more features for the bucks. The X really doesn't matter, don't let it stop you from ordering a plain B. Outlet prices are better than factory and warranty is the same. If you're lucky, free shipping, but I don't know about to Canada, maybe you have a distributer there.

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

AL-80B circuits and metering are better and the tube is certainly better than the others on that list... well worth the extra bucks up front.

7. WB2WIK

^Ditto.

Way better, in too many ways to list.

8. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank everyone for your excellent feedback.
    I was leaning towards the AL80B and your comments validated my initial thoughts.

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also add grid protection and the QSK for more bucks. I got a used one for $900 delivered that had the grid protection and after I got it set up and working to my liking, I added the internal QSK board. It works like a champ unless the SWR gets too high and then you'll be replacing lamps (protection fuses). But it lets you know right away if it happens. I'm just very careful about making sure I have a good SWR before I turn on the amp I also burned up a perfectly good Sage 6 positoon RF switch with high SWR. All my antennas are good enough now where I use them 80M through 2M with no tuner. Of course the 80B doesn't work above 10M and doesn't pass the 6M too good. I loose 25W through the 80B at 100W out of the transceiver on 6M. I need to rectify that.

When I got the amp the green wire for 10M was not even cut. It looked like the amp had only been used on 40M it's whole life. I think it's about a 2005 model so the tube is a bit soft but serviceable. I still get 700W out worse case. Seems the lower bands are worse. I really need to get a 160M antenna up.

10. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

AL80B from those units you mentioned. But a caution, it really is not a KW amplifier. Yes if you flog it you might see that or a tad more, for a while. But it really is a solid 700 - 800 Watt amplifier. Use less for high duty cycle modes like RTTY where 500W is about the limit.

If you have to have a KW, you need the AL82 or AL1500 if you want to stick to Ameritron.

But the AL80B is a real workhorse for the cost. The Ford F150 of amplifiers.

VE2GCE likes this.