Ameritron AL-811 - no power out - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0AKF, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe it's really "Wong."

Visiting M.I.T. I had to attend a meeting in the Wong Auditorium.

Stopped to ask for directions to "Wong Auditorium." Cab driver tells me, "Any of them can be. Why don't you find the right auditorium instead?"

<symbol crash>

Turns out...

[h=3]Wong Auditorium (E51-115)[/h] The Wong Auditorium can serve as the ideal location for lectures and symposiums. This auditorium has a capacity of 291 with 3 removable seats at the front of the auditorium. Within the Auditorium there is an audio amplification system with surround sound capability, video and audio taping capability, VCR, slide projector, and a large screen. Audio taping is provided by Academic Media Production Services (AMPS) 253-7603. For all other audio-visual needs, please contact the MIT AV Department 253-2808.

2. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Better start savin' your money for that AL-80B, and REALLY baby those Cetrons you've got.. As I write this, except for rejects and seconds, the 572B is not available. To the extent that Ameritron has stopped production of their amps that use that tube..

KM5FL

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Nick!
    That's the most concise explanation of this "811 series" problem I've seen. Add this all up and one has an amp that works for most who don't push it. Since there are many aspects that are close to the edge, it can suffer from several different failure modes depending on how any individual amp is built, used, or the tube run that populated the sockets...

What a PITA (Pain in the ass... not the bread!)

Thanks again for helping the new fry understand the issue!
    chris

4. KD2ACO

So we could design a super simple 3-500Z deck and a few wires that would bolt right into an AL-811 chassis for a few hundred bucks and have a decent amp, eh? Well, maybe not...

Hi 5FL... I've got Cetrons for my SB-200 and I do baby those suckers! Gearing up for the day when I do have to replace the amp. I've been eyeing the ACOM 1010, or maybe design that 3-500 deck as above, with a new chassis. Seems like too much work. The ACOM is looking better!
    c

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  5. KM5FL

Currently, there are several AL-811 related threads running in the amplifier forum. In one of them (I don't remember which one), posters were knocking around solutions and ideas for new designs that would allow Ameritron to eliminate some of their amplifier line up. I proposed almost exactly what you're thinking about.

None of those threads are very long and probably make for some interesting reading..

KM5FL

6. KD2ACO

Well, with the demise of the 811A and 572b, the days of the new $800 mid power tube amp might be over. The venerable 3-500 may become the new "it" tube, but that amp would be about $1300 to make it 'newbie tolerant' and high enough quality to stay out of your shop! (Lou, Carl, Nick, et.al.)
    My apologies to N0AKF for messing with his thread. "Hope you get yer amp running!"
    [/thread hijack]

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AL-80B's been on the market a long time and is reliable. Although the pilot lamps in my meters failed within about four years.:( I see the new ones use LEDs instead -- they should last longer.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll keep saying it....572B's are far from dead....I hope....

And the Mustang came out in 64, a year after the SB-200 so I vote to revive that with or without 160; a reliable 600W for $800 sounds doable to me even if its built in Mexico which likely has better QC anyway. The Dentron DTR-1200L also used a pair of 572B's.

Carl

9. KM5FL

Carl, I get a real kick out of some of your posts. I don't always get the meaning or understand the reasoning, but I still get a kick out of them.. This is one of those posts. :D The Mustang came out the same year as the SB-200.. Because the Mustang is still around, so should the SB-200?? I'm one of the biggest gearheads on these forums, but that reasoning is totally over my head... :p

You need to keep holding out hope for a reliable 572B to show up.. After all, somebody has to have hope before a plan can succeed.. But you also must realize that a business cannot base it's future production runs on hopes that even though a critical component needed in those products is, AT THE PRESENT TIME, not available, it will be available in the near future.. Rather, they have to "bury the dead" and move forward..

KM5FL

10. KD2ACO

I hope so too, for the sake of thousands of owners that need them! I just meant that it's looking rather dim whether or not RF parts can get a run of them up and going. I do remember that last summer, we were plotting to entice Harry Gant to drive the getaway truck when we heist the equipment from Richardson (and then set it up on a Caribbean island). :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.