Ameritron AL-811 - no power out - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0AKF, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Eh? What? Come again? HUH? Wutcha say?

2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I think the 811 & the 811 H fills a needed nitch. There are operators out there who are raising families and sending kids to school etc who don't have alot of extra income to blow on a hobby. These amps get them the extra db's to be heard above the noise ,make the DX contact etc. Is the AL 80 B a better amp? Sure it is ...but it is also $500 more money. Nobody on the other end knows what amp I am running unless I choose tell them......

I would never trade my 811H for a SB 200 some hack built 40 yrs ago especially with unattainable tubes...I own a FL 2100B and that thing is a piece of garbage compared to the 811 H. As a side note I started hoarding Cetron 572B's a few years ago, I have 6 good ones...and my FL 2100B sits collecting dust. Much prefer the 811 H.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to wonder what you drive?

4. KC9VFO

I become annoyed with all the Ameritron 811 bashing posts showing up latley. Seems like the same group of folks who are constantly posting them also. I sometimes wonder if its not the amp they dislike but something on a more personal level with a certain amp designer.

5. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

[EDIT]..... I'm changing my post to:

I don't reply to troll posts...:p

KM5FL

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. KC9VFO

I read your post.....the 811's are what they are. They are designed and built to be profitable at a low price point so folks with small budgets can afford to have one. Are they perfect? No. But they are fixable, parts are available, they have warranties. Nobody forces you to have a bench full of 811's to repair. Tell the customers to come and get their amps , you're done fixing them.

7. KC9VFO

Go have a beer or something...jeezz these 811's have some of you in tizzy.

8. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

You couldn't leave the sleeping bear alone, could you?? He tried to roll over and go back to sleep, but you just HAD to poke him one more time..

If you've been reading all these AL-811 threads and their posts, you'd have read that exactly what I've been doing..

Your claim of "they are fixable" must mean you know something those of us who work on them daily don't know. How about I send you a bus load of broke ones.. Maybe you'll then see what all the bashing is about..

No, I don't need a beer or anything else. I'm not in a tizzy.. But YOU need to quit taking all this so personally.. Nobody is directing anything at anyone in particular, especially toward you.. If your amp isn't having problems, you have nothing to worry about, do you??

Take this coversation anywhere you want. Just don't expect me to reply to anything more you have to say..

KM5FL

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Take an annoyance pill or the full bottle, you need it. As a fairly new no code General your technical prowess hasnt overwhelmed the forum either, better stick to things you know.

As far as amp, designer, or both it is all related, the amp had severe problems even before the 811A's of the past several years. The manufacturers management also has to bear some blame as that amp should be pulled off the market until all issues are fixed.

Carl

10. KC9VFO

Now hold on...god dang it..."no code general"??? That hits me right in the feels. :( Listen...you all are calling for an end to an amplifier which many of us own and enjoy. You are in the minority...many of us enjoy the 811 amps and I am considering buying another for a second station. I salute Ameritron and the designer for putting together a budget amp which happens to work great for most of us....I am willing to bet it is the best selling amp available right now.- Now when you all build and make available a better amp for $850 I will happily buy it...but somehow I don't think that will happen soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.