Ameritron AL-811 - no power out - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0AKF, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

RCA or any other good US 811A will have a problem surviving in an AL-811 as many have discovered.

The basic design and all the Mickey Mouse "fixes" are simply deniability that it is a POS product since Day ONE.

The RCA's run at 1000V as modulators in my Clegg Zeus and are the originals from 1964.

The pair of 811's (not A's) in my WW2 ATC (USN ART-13) are also originals and get regular exercise at 1200V

Carl

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. N0AKF

N0AKF Ham Member QRZ Page

All good to know!

3. N0AKF

UPDATE: I heard back from the dealer and they offered right up to take it back for a refund. They are issuing a Fed Ex pick up. I think I will look into a more reliable model - THANK YOU for all the help ob this!

4. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you possibly post the name of this dealer? Sounds like they're a company willing to do the right thing to keep their customers happy...

KM5FL

5. N0AKF

The company is Main Trading Co in Paris, TX. I started buying from them when he sold on ebay from his house. They have really grown in the last few years. I always recommend them and have always had top notch service from them Great prices too! So I will save up a little more money and buy a better amp from them. :)

6. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Larry... I've heard of the company, and all I've heard is good words. They're just up the road from me.. They were at the Orange, TX hamfest this year and I know a couple people that bought from them..

You should be able to pick up a good used 3-500 equipped amp for $600 -- $800.. Something along the lines of an AL-80B or SB-220..

KM5FL

7. N0AKF

I so wish I was closer! They are always having some type of special event going on :) They now have a store credit card for locals - too dangerous for me! :) I think I will just work a little more OT (my play $) and buy a new amp from them. I wish I could go in person to buy it :)

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My AL-811 has run fine since I got it. I have quite a few ham friends with the same experience - in fact nobody I know mentions a problem with theirs. I read the W8JI web articles when I got it and maybe that helped. Yeah the tubes are cheap and I have had to replace them once but it was well worth the price and my fault for trying to run RTTY when doing W1AW/Ø.

The stories remind me of the American made automobiles I owned in the 70's and 80's before I stopped buying American cars - some real lemons would come off the assembly lines - and it seemed that was all I ended up with.

9. N0AKF

If I stick with the 811 I will just go with nre. But am going to look at the 80B :)

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking at the 811H and the 80B but at the time upgrading to a bigger amp would mean buying a new Tuner and upgrading all the coax from RG8X to RG8 to handle the juice - so the additional cost was not just the cost of the bigger amp for me. I have since upgraded my Coax to RG8 anyway. I also do not have 220V in the shack and I thought that running the AL80 on 120V would be too much for my circuit - another expense to upgrade that. Add to that the potential for more RFI issues than I already have I think I am happy where I am for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.